Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve always wondered - if the phaser park issue that is the topic of discussion of this thread and many more here does not put other components at risk, why does Ford replace the cams, sprockets and such for an affected vehicle?

Maybe it’s just an abundance of caution?
That’s kind of why I was asking, felt like maybe I was misunderstanding.

I wonder what the longest, millage wise, anyone has gone without fixing it, and what, if anything happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReRun

Reaction score
That’s kind of why I was asking, felt like maybe I was misunderstanding.

I wonder what the longest, millage wise, anyone has gone without fixing it, and what, if anything happened?

I think your post was accurate. For me, I cringed every time I started it up and since it’s under warranty I felt there was little risk to getting it done.

I haven’t had mine back long but I’ve smiled every time I’ve started it up since.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Let me rephrase. You have been telling people of the CD cutover date for a while. Was that date not right? Just wanted to know what the cutover was.

The cutoff dates provided were PRODUCTION cutoff dates, not service part cutoff dates. Clearly you don't understand the difference, which is no surprise considering your previous posts.

You seem to "want to know" a lot for someone that doesn't even own one of these vehicles.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As a recent owner of a 2018, this thread has been of interest to me, and I’ve spent the last week or so reading through almost all of the 1400 posts. As of now, I do not have this issue. (10,800 miles)

I apologize in advance if my question is ignorant or I am missing something but let me see if I understand this....

The phaser issue, If present does not have an adverse affect on performance. (No reduction in HP, millage, etc)

The phaser issue does not put the engine at risk for damage, or breakage. (Cams won’t slip, valves won’t slap pistons, etc)

The primary problem is the noise at start up, which goes away in a short time.

So if the above is correct (and I apologize of it is not) then why not just leave it alone and avoid having your truck torn into?

It seems one would risk a bigger problem, not to mention the days without your truck. Almost seems like the juice isn’t worth the squeeze.

Please help me understand what am I missing?

You are completely correct in your statements.

The issue comes down to noise, which is a large contributor to customer concerns. By design, cam phasers lock ("park") when the engine is shut off and oil bleeds down from the phaser cavities. This prevents an oscillating rattle noise on the next cold start.

Some of the phasers in 2017 and early 2018 models were susceptible to the locking pin failing to properly engage, resulting in a noise on cold start. Ford engineering identified the issue and collaborated with the supplier to design and release an updated service part to resolve the concern.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve always wondered - if the phaser park issue that is the topic of discussion of this thread and many more here does not put other components at risk, why does Ford replace the cams, sprockets and such for an affected vehicle?

Maybe it’s just an abundance of caution?

SSM only directs to replace the phasers, which are the causal part. Camshafts, timing chains, tensionsers, and guides should not be replaced unless a component issue is encountered and diagnosed by the technician during the phaser replacement procedure.

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are completely correct in your statements.

The issue comes down to noise, which is a large contributor to customer concerns. By design, cam phasers lock ("park") when the engine is shut off and oil bleeds down from the phaser cavities. This prevents an oscillating rattle noise on the next cold start.

Some of the phasers in 2017 and early 2018 models were susceptible to the locking pin failing to properly engage, resulting in a noise on cold start. Ford engineering identified the issue and collaborated with the supplier to design and release an updated service part to resolve the concern.
So if the start up noise does not bother the customer, it is literally not harming the engine in any way. I don’t have it, so can’t say, and certainly not in anyway a comment on those that chose to have it fixed, but I’d be reluctant to have the motor cracked open.

I had a 2017 RS with the head gasket recall, so no choice. They ended up doing a good job, but I held my breath for the days it was in for repair, and for the first 1k miles or so when I got it back. (Lots of little parts, and screws to inadvertently make a mistake with in that job.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
SSM only directs to replace the phasers, which are the causal part. Camshafts, timing chains, tensionsers, and guides should not be replaced unless a component issue is encountered and diagnosed by the technician during the phaser replacement procedure.

That’s interesting data. My recollection is that for those who have posted of phaser failures and subsequent replacements, the overwhelming majority seem to include cam replacements. If it’s just the phasers failing to park correctly, I’m struggling to think of a way that park failure could implicate the cams.

I know we need to give it some time in the field but it does seem to me that the replacements, and more importantly the repeat replacements have calmed down.

Thats_a_Rap

Reaction score
Hey guys,

2018 SCREW in Ingot Silver, build date 04/18. In November of 2019 my engine developed a rattling noise between 2500-3500 rpms when I accelerated. The noise got progressively worse and within 3 months, my truck developed the cold start problem.

Long story short, I left my truck at the dealer two weeks ago with 19k miles. The service manager said the problem was the cam phasers, without hesitation. They should finish the work today and I will it pick up next week.

I’m hoping that no problems arise after replacement. My mods before service were a Wagner competition intercooler and UPR oil catch can.

My personally think that the problem was self-inflicted. In the first months of ownership, I was too infatuated with the Raptor’s torque and power. In the mornings, I didn’t allow the oil to come up to operating temperature before I goosed the throttle; this is the first forced induction vehicle I’ve ever owned.

I hear that with turbo vehicles, you should allow the temperatures to come up before bringing the engine into boost. So following my logic, because I did not do that, I inherently may have caused the problem myself.

If anyone has more knowledge on this, please enlighten me.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Hey guys,

2018 SCREW in Ingot Silver, build date 04/18. In November of 2019 my engine developed a rattling noise between 2500-3500 rpms when I accelerated. The noise got progressively worse and within 3 months, my truck developed the cold start problem.

Long story short, I left my truck at the dealer two weeks ago with 19k miles. The service manager said the problem was the cam phasers, without hesitation. They should finish the work today and I will it pick up next week.

I’m hoping that no problems arise after replacement. My mods before service were a Wagner competition intercooler and UPR oil catch can.

My personally think that the problem was self-inflicted. In the first months of ownership, I was too infatuated with the Raptor’s torque and power. In the mornings, I didn’t allow the oil to come up to operating temperature before I goosed the throttle; this is the first forced induction vehicle I’ve ever owned.

I hear that with turbo vehicles, you should allow the temperatures to come up before bringing the engine into boost. So following my logic, because I did not do that, I inherently may have caused the problem myself.

If anyone has more knowledge on this, please enlighten me.

Thanks in advance.
It is a design issue and has nothing to do with bringing it up to temp. The parts either fail or don’t independent of oil changes, quality of oil, or in your case letting it warm up.

TMart

Reaction score
That sux man. Just got mine back. So far so good but I’m not gonna uncross my fingers until I get a couple thousand miles on it.

which may be a while right now...

So, here's the latest... 2 broken rocker arms (#2 and #3 intake), but timing is still intact. Not really sure what caused the problem, except as the supervisor said "it has to be more than coincidence that this problem occurred 900 miles after the cam phaser replacement." At this point, they've found all the broken parts and are going to replace the cylinders.

Dealer is trying to do everything they can for me. I really like these guys and feel like they are trying to figure it out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.