Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Will

Reaction score
Definitely an interesting mode of failure; was it making noise for a while before you brought it in?

The SSM is s still technically correct, as it is written to diagnose a noise concern without a Check Engine Light and associated DTCs. As you mention though, if timing related DTCs are set in addition to the noise, performance/longevity could certainly be negatively affected.

I had it for about a month before it made the initial clatter on cold start and it wasn’t a week after that the CEL illuminated.
Like I said I’m sure it’s a one off occurrence where everything had to line up perfectly for it to happen. Had a ‘13 with 70k miles before without issue and my fleet at work has around 30 17+ 3.5 and none of them have had the issue either.
Obviously ford an has an issue as there are 4 revisions to the part however I don’t think the problem is as wide spread as it’s made seem. For every person posting here I’d imagine there are 3-4 not having the issue

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would hope a lot more than that aren't having any issues. 20-25% is a very high rate of failure in my opinion.

That said, Ford is getting absolutely blasted by warranty costs these days so perhaps you are correct.
Can you shut. The actual **** up? Between this thread and the other one, you’re just trolling. Either you are actually that stupid, or have a learning disability.

we get it. You hate ford. You hate the raptor. You know it all.

move on.

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a bad phaser we can look at would help understand problem with the parts ?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Ed Will

Reaction score
I would hope a lot more than that aren't having any issues. 20-25% is a very high rate of failure in my opinion.

That said, Ford is getting absolutely blasted by warranty costs these days so perhaps you are correct.

Figure I personally have dealt with 30 3.5 and my personal truck is the first one that I’ve dealt with having the phaser issue, which is way less than 20%

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If for every person posting a failure here, 3 people did not have an issue, that would make the failure rate 1/4 or 25%

If for every person posting a failure here, 4 people did not have an issue, that would make the failure rate 1/5 or 20%

My math checks out, as always. It's kind of what I do for a living. :shrug:

And, again, because I am very much pro Ford, I hope there are a lot more people who aren't having the issue.

Now which part of that did you find stupid, exactly?
Idiot. He was just throwing numbers out. Not facts. I can explain that to you. I just can’t understand it for you.

You are literally too stupid to argue with.

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does ford have any upgrades for the turbo's if I get the phaser done maybe good time to upgrade and keep the warranty ?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.