Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMart

Reaction score
Did you get an update on what went wrong? Curious to know if they’re taking responsibility and fixit it, or if some other scenario took place. Been 3 days and no panicked posts about trouble from the dealership, so I hope that’s good news.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for checking in. At this point, the dealer is saying all the right things in terms of taking responsibility. They called last night to let me know the truck had arrived - they had it brought up from Dayton to Cleveland, OH. They also told me that they would reimburse me for the rental car. This dealer is pretty good about making routine check-in calls, so I expect to hear back from them this afternoon with a status report. Fortunately, I've been busy at work this week, so I haven't had a lot of time to dwell on it!

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took mine in today so they can do a cold start in the morning. I showed the service advisor or whatever you call them guys that take your truck the video of the start up rattle he didn't seem to grasp what's up so hopefully the tech will start in the morning wish me luck ! Lol

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
Mine was diagnosed with phase sensor issue !

TMart

Reaction score
Update: one of the VCTs is stuck; not sure about collateral damage; they've torn everything down and are still diagnosing the exact cause and other potential problems

ReRun

Reaction score
Update: one of the VCTs is stuck; not sure about collateral damage; they've torn everything down and are still diagnosing the exact cause and other potential problems

That sux man. Just got mine back. So far so good but I’m not gonna uncross my fingers until I get a couple thousand miles on it.

which may be a while right now...

Last edited:

antithos

Reaction score
Hey guy's I need some help!
I bought my 2018 raptor in September/October 2017. Love it but I am seriously frustrated with continous engine problems that I'm having. Specifically cam phaser engine failures and timing belt slack as they call it.
I came from a 2014 gen 1 model that I had zero issues with to a Gen 2. I loved the improvements they had made to the truck and that's why I traded up.
Unfortunately at 34,000 miles I started experiencing the rough start up that everyone talks about on here. Sounded like a diesel for 3-5 seconds at startup. I took the truck to my dealership where purchased and after three days they diagnose the problem is cam phasers. They had my truck for 6 weeks and said it was fixed. Everything covered under warranty. About 11,000 miles later at 45k-46k miles I started having rough start up issues again. I took the truck back to the same dealer who admitted that yes there was a problem but they had already fixed this and that Ford would be very reluctant to cover this under warranty for the second time. I admittedly got a little heated with them as I did not spend $70,000 on a truck for it to sound like s*** and it should not be out of my pocket. Ford did fix the issue and they said that they would not fix it again.
Here we are present day and probably not even six months later and I've got 54900 miles on my truck and low and behold I've got cam phasers again for the third time. Has anyone on here had this issue occurred three times and had success with the dealer fixing it. Have they come out with a fix to permanently fix this issue even if they were to fix it am I going to be back in here 10,000 miles later? I don't know what to do and I'm literally at the point where I'm just about to trade it. I thought about possibly buying a platinum or Lariat or King Ranch but they have the same engine am I going to have the same issue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated is the how I should handle this with the dealership/Ford?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
what was the date of your last fix? The newest parts were not available until April of '19 so if it was fixed around then, you could have been 'fixed' with the same old parts that were prone to fail.

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 2018 raptor in September/October 2017. Love it but I am seriously frustrated with continous engine problems that I'm having. Specifically cam phaser engine failures and timing belt slack as they call it.
I came from a 2014 gen 1 model that I had zero issues with to a Gen 2. I loved the improvements they had made to the truck and that's why I traded up.
Unfortunately at 34,000 miles I started experiencing the rough start up that everyone talks about on here. Sounded like a diesel for 3-5 seconds at startup. I took the truck to my dealership where purchased and after three days they diagnose the problem is cam phasers. They had my truck for 6 weeks and said it was fixed. Everything covered under warranty. About 11,000 miles later at 45k-46k miles I started having rough start up issues again. I took the truck back to the same dealer who admitted that yes there was a problem but they had already fixed this and that Ford would be very reluctant to cover this under warranty for the second time. I admittedly got a little heated with them as I did not spend $70,000 on a truck for it to sound like s*** and it should not be out of my pocket. Ford did fix the issue and they said that they would not fix it again.
Here we are present day and probably not even six months later and I've got 54900 miles on my truck and low and behold I've got cam phasers again for the third time. Has anyone on here had this issue occurred three times and had success with the dealer fixing it. Have they come out with a fix to permanently fix this issue even if they were to fix it am I going to be back in here 10,000 miles later? I don't know what to do and I'm literally at the point where I'm just about to trade it. I thought about possibly buying a platinum or Lariat or King Ranch but they have the same engine am I going to have the same issue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated is the how I should handle this with the dealership/Ford?
I took mine in today it has same problem at 26k this is first time though the service guy says all 3.5 eco boost engines have same issues !

antithos

Reaction score
It was definitely after April 2019. I was told by the service rep that they (Ford) had made changes and updated parts specifically to fix this issue.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

A cam phaser noise concern on a cold start is just that; a noise concern. It has nothing to do with "engine failures" or "timing belt slack". It has no detrimental effect on engine durability or reliability. Wherever you heard that, its 100% wrong.

Unfortunately at 34,000 miles I started experiencing the rough start up that everyone talks about on here. Sounded like a diesel for 3-5 seconds at startup. I took the truck to my dealership where purchased and after three days they diagnose the problem is cam phasers. They had my truck for 6 weeks and said it was fixed. Everything covered under warranty.

It isn't a "rough start"; it's a momentary noise on cold starts. It's a day and a half worth of labor at most to repair. Why did they have your truck at the dealer for a month and a half? Dealers have been instructed to only take the vehicle in once parts arrive.

About 11,000 miles later at 45k-46k miles I started having rough start up issues again. I took the truck back to the same dealer who admitted that yes there was a problem but they had already fixed this and that Ford would be very reluctant to cover this under warranty for the second time. I admittedly got a little heated with them as I did not spend $70,000 on a truck for it to sound like s*** and it should not be out of my pocket. Ford did fix the issue and they said that they would not fix it again.

Once again..what is a "rough start up issue"? Is is the same noise concern you experienced previously? The re-designed cam phasers have been out for quite a while; when did the dealer perform the most recent repair?

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
A cam phaser noise concern on a cold start is just that; a noise concern. It has nothing to do with "engine failures" or "timing belt slack". It has no detrimental effect on engine durability or reliability. Wherever you heard that, its 100% wrong.

It isn't a "rough start"; it's a momentary noise on cold starts. It's a day and a half worth of labor at most to repair. Why did they have your truck at the dealer for a month and a half? Dealers have been instructed to only take the vehicle in once parts arrive.

Once again..what is a "rough start up issue"? Is is the same noise concern you experienced previously? The re-designed cam phasers have been out for quite a while; when did the dealer perform the most recent repair?
It was his first post after being a member for 2 years. Cut him some slack. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.