Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was mentioned here, and your bud Fordtechone even chimed in that it was coming. It was not a news item, but it was from the ford service center and this ford tech confirmed it. when it never happened, there were crickets on the subject. I won't believe that ford has this fixed until there is at least a few years worth of data (and forum reports) stating that nobody has had a failure with the new parts. Currently, there are people still having failures after this supposed cutoff mark. It was originally April, but Fordtechone even said he misunderstood it and it was for a time even earlier than that. Either way, recent deliveries are still exhibiting this problem as evidenced on this forum and others. Obviously, ford has not figured out the design of this thing.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It was mentioned here, and your bud Fordtechone even chimed in that it was coming. It was not a news item, but it was from the ford service center and this ford tech confirmed it. when it never happened, there were crickets on the subject. I won't believe that ford has this fixed until there is at least a few years worth of data (and forum reports) stating that nobody has had a failure with the new parts. Currently, there are people still having failures after this supposed cutoff mark. It was originally April, but Fordtechone even said he misunderstood it and it was for a time even earlier than that. Either way, recent deliveries are still exhibiting this problem as evidenced on this forum and others. Obviously, ford has not figured out the design of this thing.

So I found this. From the NHTSA which seems to be the source Fordtechone and you were referencing. What's interesting is that is not for the 2019 F150

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165685-0001.pdf

SSM 48168 - 2017-2018 F-150, 2018-2019 Expedition/Navigator - 3.5L

EcoBoost - Ticking/Tapping Or Rattle Type Noise On Start Up After A Cold

Soak
Some 2017-2018 F-150 vehicles built on or before 10-Jul-2018 and 2018-2019 Expedition/Navigator vehicles built on or before 8-Apr-2019 equipped with a 3.5L EcoBoost engine may exhibit a ticking, tapping, or rattle type noise from the top front cover area of the engine that last 2-5 seconds on initial start-up after a cold soak. This may be due to a worn variable cam timing (VCT) unit. A TSB is expected to be published 4th quarter of 2019. In the interim, replace all 4 VCT units and update the powertrain control module (PCM) calibration. Do not replace timing chains, tensioners, guides or other timing related components unless inspection clearly identifies a concern. Refer to the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01. Claim the labor required to replace VCTs using published labor operations and PCM programming using M-time. Monitor OASIS for updates.

TRUEFF

Reaction score
I thought my Raptor was special, that this only happens to other Raptors....

2019 screw 802a stock 15kmiles.

goes in on the 31st.

according to the Ford service guy a TSB was to come out by 12/31/19 but never did.

mad man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines in right now getting fixed it’s a 2018 built 6/18 .my noise happens after it gets warmed up and just stays constant it’s not real loud but you can hear it enough to where ford agreed it’s been in for 2 weeks

Last edited:

SleekMagnetic

Reaction score
Just in case anyone cares for an update (I know I would have), the dealer was super cool and accommodating. Right when I arrived I explained my situation and he mentioned he has dealt with this issue in the past and that he’d put his top tech on it starting Monday and they won’t rush it to “do it right”. Said it might be a few weeks. They put me in a new explorer and sent me on my way. I’ll report back once I hear something

Heard back from the dealer (Bozard Ford - St. Augustine, FL) - (btw, I live in Orlando - I’m not impressed with my local dealers.) I am all good to go. I want to say this dealer is the absolute best I’ve ever dealt with, regardless of manufacture. The service advisors text you updates as the service progresses (from the second they pull it in to start service, and even send pictures of progress!) I was able to ask my service advisor questions, she went directly to the master tech working on my truck and replied with answers. Zero hassles, zero questions (Well the only question was do you need a loaner vehicle.) The service manager went out of his way to make sure I was happy. I’m going to pick the truck up today and will report back with info.

D

Deleted member 17706

Heard back from the dealer (Bozard Ford - St. Augustine, FL) - (btw, I live in Orlando - I’m not impressed with my local dealers.) I am all good to go. I want to say this dealer is the absolute best I’ve ever dealt with, regardless of manufacture. The service advisors text you updates as the service progresses (from the second they pull it in to start service, and even send pictures of progress!) I was able to ask my service advisor questions, she went directly to the master tech working on my truck and replied with answers. Zero hassles, zero questions (Well the only question was do you need a loaner vehicle.) The service manager went out of his way to make sure I was happy. I’m going to pick the truck up today and will report back with info.

I live close to Bozard. They are suppose to be one of the top dealers in the country. So is that where you bought your Raptor from? They have to be an hour and half away from you lol.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Currently, there are people still having failures after this supposed cutoff mark. It was originally April, but Fordtechone even said he misunderstood it and it was for a time even earlier than that. Either way, recent deliveries are still exhibiting this problem as evidenced on this forum and others. Obviously, ford has not figured out the design of this thing.

Just for discussion sake, you have confirmed that trucks with BUILD dates, not delivery date, after April/'19 have the issue?

I may have missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.