Cam Phaser/Engine Failure Reports

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How do buy backs work? I am just about to take deliver if a 2020. Hoping for no issues
If you have an issue, dealers have to fix an issue in a certain number of times and a certain number of days. It varies from state to state. In Cal, they have usually 3-4 attempts for non-safety related problems. 2-3 for safety issues with a max of 30 days, either contiguous or not contiguous. If the dealer is unable to fix it, to avoid a lemon law lawsuit, they can voluntarily buy it back. Once the dealer or manufacturer starts the buyback, they have generally 30-45 days to complete the process. If the car is new or newish, they simply replace like for like with what’s available in stock or close by. If it’s been some time, they deduct depression from the buyback and then you have the option to take the buyout or roll the depreciation into a new loan. If you have custom parts, you have the option for them to remove it but you need to pay for it. While a buy back seems like a great deal, for cars over 6 months old, it’s a hassle.

You cannot wait for a new model year (unless the model year swap falls DURING the buy back window) You cannot get all your money back and it be a zero sum deal. You cannot have them take off your custom parts for free. You will be without a car, unless a loaner is given as part of the deal, during that time. Etc etc.

Bottom line is once the buy back group is contacted, the clock starts and you cannot pause it and wait for a new model year.

mkarlin27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have an issue, dealers have to fix an issue in a certain number of times and a certain number of days. It varies from state to state. In Cal, they have usually 3-4 attempts for non-safety related problems. 2-3 for safety issues with a max of 30 days, either contiguous or not contiguous. If the dealer is unable to fix it, to avoid a lemon law lawsuit, they can voluntarily buy it back. Once the dealer or manufacturer starts the buyback, they have generally 30-45 days to complete the process. If the car is new or newish, they simply replace like for like with what’s available in stock or close by. If it’s been some time, they deduct depression from the buyback and then you have the option to take the buyout or roll the depreciation into a new loan. If you have custom parts, you have the option for them to remove it but you need to pay for it. While a buy back seems like a great deal, for cars over 6 months old, it’s a hassle.

You cannot wait for a new model year (unless the model year swap falls DURING the buy back window) You cannot get all your money back and it be a zero sum deal. You cannot have them take off your custom parts for free. You will be without a car, unless a loaner is given as part of the deal, during that time. Etc etc.

Bottom line is once the buy back group is contacted, the clock starts and you cannot pause it and wait for a new model year.
Thanks

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s not how the buy back works...
I got my Ford Focus bought back and I didnt have to do anything. They re-paid me every red cent I put into the car, including anything extra I added. They paid for every year of registration, 2 years of insurance payments, everything. I ended up like I never owned the car and got a big fat check. If thats not what your getting, you better get yourself an attorney like I did. They even paid my attorney fees. And thats in California.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got my Ford Focus bought back and I didnt have to do anything. They re-paid me every red cent I put into the car, including anything extra I added. They paid for every year of registration, 2 years of insurance payments, everything. I ended up like I never owned the car and got a big fat check. If thats not what your getting, you better get yourself an attorney like I did. They even paid my attorney fees. And thats in California.
I was referring to you saying to wait for the 2021. That you can’t do.

since you had an attorney, you did a lemon law which is after you can’t come to an agreement on a standard buyback.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’d also point out that the focus was subject of a class action lawsuit which is most likely why you got more back than an average buy back. Buyback only deals with the car and not things like insurance. Lemon law covers things like insurance.

http://fordtransmissionsettlement.com/

The raptor is not part or subject to a class action...yet.

you are discussing apples while we are discussing oranges.
If you’re done giving bad information, we can move on with this discussion.

Last edited:

SleekMagnetic

Reaction score
My truck has been running harsh lately and just yesterday finally through a CEL: P0012, P0022 and P0056. Intake cam valve timing retarded. I’m bringing it in to my dealer today.

Thoughts on flashing the tune back to stock or bringing it in as is? Cobb Stage 1. The dealer is mod friendly, so I’m not really worried with warranty denial as there is plenty of cases with similar issues - tuned or not.

Thanks,

Just in case anyone cares for an update (I know I would have), the dealer was super cool and accommodating. Right when I arrived I explained my situation and he mentioned he has dealt with this issue in the past and that he’d put his top tech on it starting Monday and they won’t rush it to “do it right”. Said it might be a few weeks. They put me in a new explorer and sent me on my way. I’ll report back once I hear something

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d also point out that the focus was subject of a class action lawsuit which is most likely why you got more back than an average buy back. Buyback only deals with the car and not things like insurance. Lemon law covers things like insurance.

http://fordtransmissionsettlement.com/

The raptor is not part or subject to a class action...yet.

you are discussing apples while we are discussing oranges.
If you’re done giving bad information, we can move on with this discussion.
Gotcha. I bet the Raptor will soon be a class action with this cam phaser BS. If mine does it, Im going to call the same attorney and maybe have her start one. She was bad ass when it came to getting it Lemon'ed

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gotcha. I bet the Raptor will soon be a class action with this cam phaser BS. If mine does it, Im going to call the same attorney and maybe have her start one. She was bad ass when it came to getting it Lemon'ed
That’s awesome. I agree with you. It’s only a matter of time.
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.