GEN 2 Calling all NoVa/DC Metro Raptor owners! HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AvalancheGrey2017

Reaction score
I have had my Raptor for just over a year now and have loved every minute of it outside of the "sewing machine". I probably read 100 threads on the different exhaust options out there and settled on the opinion that ford performance is likely the best bet for better exhaust tips, better sound, but most importantly no drone at 70mph plus. Since its the family long trip hauler I cannot risk the little one or the wife being unhappy.

BLUF:
I was hoping that I could find 2 members on here somewhat local the to DC metro/NoVa area- one with a ford performance sport series exhaust and one with a ford performance touring series exhaust, that would be open to giving me a quick ride so I can hear them in person before making a decision. Happy to trade a ride for a 6 pack.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
No longer NoVA local, but would like to offer this

I put on the AWE 2fg - it’s a muffler delete basically. leaves you with about a 10db increase in sound at 60 and reasonably loud at WFO. It’s not bad on a trip and it’s not fatiguing. Bang for the buck, it’s a good option as it’s relatively inexpensive, the muffler is boat anchor heavy so you do trim some weight and WFO throttle does sound more aggressive / better.

But, you give up the truck’s stealth.
example: You’re on the beltway and want to pass some left lane turtle, but you don’t want to draw attention of others and you don’t want the passive-aggressive nit wit to speed up. With any more sound, you give away your intentions. Stock, you can just roll into the throttle, boost it in 10th and ease past the inattentive, cell yakking rolling road block.

I’d leave well enough alone on another truck but I’m fine with the AWE as it is. I moved to TX hauling the dog, cargo and what not and we were fine at all manner of speeds.

Good luck either way.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
The system does have a louder exhaust note but no drone at any speeds

Your Rap must shift less lazily than mine. in Normal, I can be in 10th gear at 42mph. if you roll into the throttle gently at this speed, there’s a drone for about 100 rpm. I have to try to make it happen but can. Otherwise I agree.

Ruggerus

Reaction score
I also have the AWE 2FG and absolutely love it. Good sound, nice price, and easy install. It’s not stealthy…but that’s okay by me! It’s a great option in my opinion.
Located in Annapolis if you want to meet up and check it out.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I’ll offer this alternative since at least tacit spousal approval may be a concern.

Pick up one of the used torque arms in the classifieds section.
I have it, you can install in a driveway with basic hand tools. I didn’t even drop the driveshaft. Huge difference in available traction, significant reduction of wheel hop, axle wrap, etc.

OP
OP
AvalancheGrey2017

AvalancheGrey2017

Reaction score
smurf i appreciate all the insight. the bit of drone to work around on the 2fg is a tad worrisome, but does seem benign and fleeting - I do hate the factory tips (which was the nice bonus on the ford performance). I will say the price is right on the 2fg versus roughly 2k, ruggerus i may have to take you up on that. Not a bad excuse to get over to Annapolis either, its been a while.

No rappys with the ford performance options in the area!? i dont believe it, i see raptors everywhere!

Jake226

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the 0FG from AWE on my 2019. The tone was crazy deep and loud and I loved it. Our boys (5 and 2 at the time) loved it too. The wife, not so much. The 2FG seems to be the sweet spot for most, nice deep tone, no drone, and not terribly loud. IMO the 5” black diamond exhaust tips from AWE are the best looking tips around. So I’d recommend them. I was complemented on them constantly.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
the bit of drone to work around on the 2fg is a tad worrisome, but does seem benign and fleeting

I want to be fair to AWE here, this is only for 1-200 rpms at --literally-- around 1100 rpms, with just enough load to make the truck accelerate but not enough to compel a downshift. You have to work to get this to happen but you can do it.

I’ll say one more “negative” aspect of it but again to be fair, this would be true of any exhaust change - the factory stereo (I had the Sony) will not cut it.
All the more reason to get a decent sub and amps. I’m figuring you probably want minimum 40w rms main, 3-400 sub. I’m doing 75w x4 + the sub at 450x1
I can hear lyrics at 70mph windows down.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I'll have to look at the AWE then. I currently have the Borla Attack exhaust and am not a fan. Will be switching to KHC exhaust tips with the rear dove cut. So will want a better sounding muffler before then.