GEN 2 Buzz noise feeling in steering wheel only when mooving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Szabo Mihaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fave a buzz noise probably in the engine compartiment. Only sometimes, and never when the car is stopped. It will go off before the car stops, maybe 10 km/h will stop the noise. Is not the tire, 100%. I know that sound and feeling. This is like a small compressor, small motor. The frequency of sound is not that high as suspension solenoid.
Is there any electrical pump, compressor? Maybe the abs pump? Is any vacuum pump for brake ? I can feel in steering also. I am not able to check properly because the car need to run. Mostly happening when i decelerate or i did not touch accelerator or brake. Maybe on higher speed is present but tere are many other noises and i cant hear. Is not loud but present.
35000 km on it and i have to find out myself, no ford dealer ,only europeans.

Many thanks for help

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check all your heat shields and such. I have seen cases where a loose shield will vibrate in the moving air like the reed on a clarinet. Another possibility is the torque sensor....see this video:

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s not the heater cooled seats? I hate the noise when the seat blowers are running. Don’t feel it in the wheel tho.

WyoRaptorrrrr

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same problem. Had a mechanic look at it who thought it might be a break caliper rubbing and making the odd sound. It isn't something loose it is something "running" or rubbing I think and happens (or I notice it) at low speeds. Anyone else that is experiencing this would be helpful.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It might be the belt on your electric steering rack or the steering shaft knuckle would be my guess's, if your brakes, iwe's and front bearings check out okay.

OP
OP
S

Szabo Mihaly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sound is electric. Is coming from some kind of motor. I need to check again the iwe. That solenoid can make some noise. Looks like is no wacuum pump for brake on gen 2. I dont have line keeping, even if i am steering the sound is there. Looks like day after day is louder. If something from iwe i need to hear the hub also what is half engaged? There is no any other symptom. Only that buzz.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Not sure if this will help, but on 2 sets of BFG's I've had the following happen. Once the tires get around 25k miles or so and you may not rotate them by the book, I would get a crazy buzzing sound coming from the front A pillar, dash, steering wheel area, but only between 60-65 mph. Faster or slower, no noise. The uneven wear on the tires would create some resonance. You could feel the uneven treads when driving slow through parking lots too, such that the whole truck would shake a little, passengers noticed it too.

Anyway, you might try rotating the tires, doesn't cost anything.