Buying New 2019 Tomorrow. Are there firmware/software updates I should ensure dealer installs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DINOZR

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Cam phasers were updated in production 07/2018. The roof opening panel rattle is the result of a lack of lubrication and is easily corrected. That shouldn’t be an issue on a brand new vehicle.

As @smurfslayer said, the dealer is instructed not to update any vehicle modules unless directed to do so by a service message/bulletin or the Workshop Manual.

Thank you for your response. I appreciate the insight you provide on this forum (I'm new, but I've been reading a lot). My plan on the moon roof is to exercise it at least once weekly and lubricate it regularly (maybe monthly?)

On the software updates, I interpret your comment and others as saying, "The software it has is the software it has, and until you have a problem, the dealer isn't gonna update it or even look at it." Is that an accurate take?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
They may update the Sync software, but they will be reluctant. I would bet money their “one sync tech is not in right now”. The pcm, tcm, bcm, etc. they’re not going to update without a problem report that fits known symptoms or is within troubleshooting steps for an unknown issue.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I appreciate the insight you provide on this forum (I'm new, but I've been reading a lot). My plan on the moon roof is to exercise it at least once weekly and lubricate it regularly (maybe monthly?)

On the software updates, I interpret your comment and others as saying, "The software it has is the software it has, and until you have a problem, the dealer isn't gonna update it or even look at it." Is that an accurate take?

I’d say exercising the roof opening panel at least once per month should be sufficient to keep it in good operating condition.

Your interpretation regarding module updates is correct. You can ask them to update your Sync version as @smurfslayer mentioned, but with a build date of July 2019, you’ll already be at the latest level anyway.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d say exercising the roof opening panel at least once per month should be sufficient to keep it in good operating condition.

Your interpretation regarding module updates is correct. You can ask them to update your Sync version as @smurfslayer mentioned, but with a build date of July 2019, you’ll already be at the latest level anyway.
FTO. Is this the correct TSB for our Gen 2 pano roofs?

https://www.f150forum.com/attachmen...21-2015-ford-f-150-tsb-listing-tsb16-0020.pdf

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Make sure to adjust your tire pressure. Here’s a cut and paste from Raptor Assault:

Raptor air pressure

Instructors at Raptor assault asked the group "how many of you have the rear end kick out on bumps in normal everyday driving?". The majority of the class answered back w/ resounding yes and then they simply said, your PSI is too high in the rear.

We had a good discussion on tire psi. Here's my notes from the class:

-Raptors ship from factory at 48psi and should be aired down by the dealership upon delivery (which never happens)

-Ford procedure document state 36psi all around

-The instructors prefer 38f and 34r psi for normal driving

-Ford engineers prefer 34f/28r psi for off road driving WITH highway driving

-Ford engineers prefer 28f/22r psi for pure off road driving (no highway at all)