Buying New 2019 Tomorrow. Are there firmware/software updates I should ensure dealer installs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buying a new 2019 SCREW, Race Red, fully optioned 802a tomorrow. Only options it lacks are the Recaro seats and then the rare stuff like bed extender, smoker's group, etc. Everything else--it's got it. Very excited!

Before I leave the dealer, are there any firmware or software I should ensure the dealer updates? I'm thinking PCM, head unit, nav...any of that stuff. And is there a way for me to check that it actually has the latest versions installed (ie version numbers)?

I know to listen for cam phasers on cold start. Got that covered. Anything else I should inspect carefully before signing on the dotted line?

bigsakius

Reaction score
Just curious how much did you end up getting it for? I am trying to gauge what to offer dealers. Thanks! Btw no clue on your question but Congrats!! Enjoy it

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You can ask, but the service guys only perform actual updates with a complaint; else they just check for compatibility and report back the truck has the most current version.

Just give the truck a thorough going over, get pics, make sure everything works, give it a good test drive and re check stuff.

OP
OP
DINOZR

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice haul!

Thanks, man. All the information available on the net is both a blessing and a curse. It seems no matter how good a deal feels to you, there's always someone who will scream, "You're getting robbed!" It's tough to know who's informed and who's just being contrary for the sake of being contrary. I decided that I think it's a great deal, it's the exact build I want, and it's 50 miles away. So I'm gonna pull the trigger.

OP
OP
DINOZR

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Date of manufacture is 7/19. That sounds really late. Is it one of the last 2019s? What calendar date did MY 2019 production end? 7/19 should be well past the date the updated part was introduced for cam phasers, correct?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Date of manufacture is 7/19. That sounds really late. Is it one of the last 2019s? What calendar date did MY 2019 production end? 7/19 should be well past the date the updated part was introduced for cam phasers, correct?

Yes. Cam phasers were updated in production 07/2018. The roof opening panel rattle is the result of a lack of lubrication and is easily corrected. That shouldn’t be an issue on a brand new vehicle.

As @smurfslayer said, the dealer is instructed not to update any vehicle modules unless directed to do so by a service message/bulletin or the Workshop Manual.