GEN 2 Buy back from Ford

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Osteoblast

Reaction score
I have had my 2018 Raptor in and out of the shop regularly for about a year now and my truck has suffered value loss due to the fact that this all comes up on the VIN check. Since it has been a never ending stream of DIFFERENT things, Ford is absolved of lemon law statute/buyback apparently. I am shopping Rams now, can honestly say my experience with my one and only Ford has been the worst customer service/reliability experience of ANY brand of the 24 vehicles I have owned. Beware!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am shopping Rams now, can honestly say my experience with my one and only Ford has been the worst customer service/reliability experience of ANY brand of the 24 vehicles I have owned. Beware!!!

24 vehicles and your first Ford purchase goes like this?

You are right it's time to go back to Ram or whatever.

poltrup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lemon Laws vary by state. My 2018 had an interesting failure that ultimately came down to faulty part from factory and inadequate instructions for the replacement assembly causing truck to be returned every two weeks for the first six-months of ownership. (yes, dealer kept making the same assembly error over and over because the instructions were not clear)

- Lookup your state's lemon laws
- Open your warranty booklet, read and follow service complaint escalation procedures (take notes - yes, write it down - each contact, date/time/what was said/what was done.)
- Keep copies of every-single service order/receipt to document frequency and length of on-going yet uncorrected issue
- Take pictures (if safe) of condition/symptom as they reoccur as evidence you're not making this up (which you're not of course - but evidence is always good)
- Engage legal assistance when you've complied with lemon law/warrant escalation requirements and given Ford every chance to correct the issue under warranty

What this does is give the lawyer who will represent you mediating with Ford, clear-cut evidence that Ford is *not* correcting the problem. Which will result in one of two things (dependent on state lemon laws) - either Ford will fix the truck permanently and your lawyer can (and should) seek "devaluation" compensation or Ford will admit the vehicle is un-fixable and offer to buy it back. Important to note here... devaluation compensation is exactly that - they are paying you the anticipated loss in trade-in value. You will get absolutely nothing for time and frustration.

In my state, commercial legal resources are available who will represent with no money out of pocket, as fees are tied to the outcome. In my case (and according to my lawyer, 95% of all cases), Ford woke up real quick and got an engineer tearing apart all the improbable scenarios and found the root cause - then settled for $$$$ to me for devaluation, and $$ to lawyer for his time.

hj_s14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, they basically told her they had the sedan available at Enterprise or something like that only. Anything more, she has to pay for the different. That's what I was told and I was surprised myself.

I know this is comparing Orange and Apple, but when audi R8 was in the shop for trans. issue, I was given a Q5 to drive around and the dealer reimburse me the 1 month of the car payment. (mainly because they do not have any R8 as a loaner. and I made a big deal out of it).
Or when my Benz ML was in the shop for some electrical bs, they gave me an exact SUV (current year.) No money reimbursement here..

Maybe that's the different in customer service between Ford and Audi ? I don't know

I'm glad nothing happens to my Raptor yet. Even though I need to bring the truck to the dealer for replacing the valve cover due to high oil consumption. Service guy told me they'll give me another F150 or Explorer but they won't throw me on a crappy sedan but he can't warranty

I was given a Ford Escape. The Enterprise store that I dealt with had no trucks to rent at the time. I find it hard to believe that Ford or the dealership could not do anything for your friend. A few months after I purchased my rig I was having some issues with the truck, electrical & paint. I reached out to Ford to complain and see if they would do a buy back. They said no, but they did offer me the premium maintenance plan or premium care extended warranty. I ended up going with the extended warranty (5yrs/75,000).

19Stripper

Reaction score
Angry that Ford's customer service/reliability was subpar so you're shopping the automaker with the lowest customer satisfaction rating and additionally has owned the "least reliable vehicles" list in basically every survey that's been done for at least the past decade... Seems logical. ?:]

Sounds like you got a bad dealer there bud.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced the buy buy from Ford with their Raptors? I’m in California and my truck has been in the shop over 30 days for cam phaser issue . Just curious to hear anyone else’s experience with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The real question is...why? Pursuing lemon law only gets you the value of the vehicle minus depreciation, mileage, and any damage/wear present...it's not like you get your full purchase price and loan interest back. You also get black listed by the manufacturer and any other manufacturer with access to that data, don't count on them helping you out with any future issues (loaner, extended warranty, good will etc) once you file a lemon law claim against them.

The lemon law was enacted to prevent manufacturers from selling un-repairable vehicles and negating warranty responsibility, not to prevent consumers from experiencing warrantable issues that the manufacturer repairs at their expense. Lemon law states that the issue must significantly impact the use, value, or safety of the vehicle to qualify. In your case, your truck will be updated with the new phaser part numbers and repaired.

Another thing to consider is the dealership...per the franchise agreement with FoMoCo, the dealership is responsible for selling vehicles and parts and servicing said vehicles. If the parts are available and the dealer can't repair your vehicle due to lack of staff or capacity, that blood is on their hands. At that point your best bet is to go after the dealership, most of which are owned by people worth tens of millions and should be held responsible for the failure to hold up to their end of the agreement.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, they basically told her they had the sedan available at Enterprise or something like that only. Anything more, she has to pay for the different. That's what I was told and I was surprised myself.

I know this is comparing Orange and Apple, but when audi R8 was in the shop for trans. issue, I was given a Q5 to drive around and the dealer reimburse me the 1 month of the car payment. (mainly because they do not have any R8 as a loaner. and I made a big deal out of it).
Or when my Benz ML was in the shop for some electrical bs, they gave me an exact SUV (current year.) No money reimbursement here..

Maybe that's the different in customer service between Ford and Audi ? I don't know

I'm glad nothing happens to my Raptor yet. Even though I need to bring the truck to the dealer for replacing the valve cover due to high oil consumption. Service guy told me they'll give me another F150 or Explorer but they won't throw me on a crappy sedan but he can't warranty

There is definitely a different level of customer service between a mainstream brand and a luxury brand. The level of customer service you experienced with Audi/MB is the equivalent of buying a Lincoln; there is much more focus on pampering the customer and preventing customer inconvenience. From my experience, the same is true for all luxury brands, with the exception of made up "luxury" brands like "Acura", "Infiniti", "Genesis", and "Lexus". Although some on here have posted that Lexus throws the kitchen sink at them, which can be attributed to their essentially unlimited budget...which is the direct result of unethical/unfair trade practices and currency manipulation and is a topic for another thread.

A good dealer will get you a loaner any time your vehicle is out of service for more than a day or two; if anyone on here is told that their vehicle will be out of service for weeks or more and they can't provide a loaner, that is because the dealer doesn't want to pay for it. Ford corporate will absorb the expense of the rental when the vehicle is down for repairs and parts; they will not pay for a rental because the dealer is "too busy" to fix your vehicle. That expense is the responsibility of the dealer and needs to be addressed as such.

hj_s14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True , Chevy never given me nothing lol. Good thing my Silverado didn’t have much issue .

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Pursuing lemon law only gets you the value of the vehicle minus depreciation, mileage, and any damage/wear present...it's not like you get your full purchase price and loan interest back. You also get black listed by the manufacturer and any other manufacturer with access to that data, don't count on them helping you out with any future issues (loaner, extended warranty, good will etc) once you file a lemon law claim against them.

That’s not been my experience. I had trouble with the replacement vehicle I agreed to in my suit, first a small issue, then the engine lunched. No trouble at all with that replacement, post lawsuit. Now, during the suit, every visit to the dealer involved the regional rep inspecting the vehicle. But I had no further issues after the suit was over. If evidence of a concerted effort to deny fair treatment or coverage to a customer who had previously invoked a lemon law and especially if they were victorious, that manufacturer would most certainly be punished by the jury, quite severely, so if you’re aware of this behavior, you would do well to avoid it.

The lemon law was enacted to prevent manufacturers from selling un-repairable vehicles and negating warranty responsibility, not to prevent consumers from experiencing warrantable issues that the manufacturer repairs at their expense. Lemon law states that the issue must significantly impact the use, value, or safety of the vehicle to qualify.

The thing is, there is a credible case that these repairs, whether they are simple, complex, rare or frequent, sometimes are taking on the order of 1-6 weeks to implement. One of the things that strikes me as odd is there are reports on here across the spectrum.

- one may report the dealer hears the rattle on start up and orders the parts. once parts are in, truck is down for a few days and returned.
- another insists on hearing it, then denies it’s a problem
- another keeps it overnight, hears it, insists on an engine tear down
- some won’t accept a video at all ( just plain stupid) as any kind of indicator.

The problem seems to start with this inconsistency, and gets amplified with the ubiquitous “national backorder” label on the parts, while the customer sits and collects time against triggering the lemon law.

If dealers by and large can’t effect a repair in less than a week, then the market value of the vehicle is affected negatively and significantly. When it sits for more than a week in a state of disassembly waiting on parts, the manufacturer is asking to be sued. The thing is, once your truck is in pieces, you have practically no recourse as a consumer.