Burning Oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just had the TSB done and I’ve noticed that if I put it in manual mode and downshift through the gears, the RPMs rise, but I have very little, if any, engine breaking. My fear is that I have issues with oil getting past the piston rings and what they have essentially done is limited the oil consumption to just occurring while accelerating and significantly reduced it when decelerating, hence, I will burn half the oil and remain within their ridiculous oil consumption specs. Thoughts?
The issue does not occur under acceleration. It was the result of excessive vacuum, which only occurs under engine braking.

I have not noticed any perceivable difference in engine braking after the software update. It’s not like it’s holding the throttle fully open; it’s just cracking it enough to prevent excessive vacuum from building and drawing oil past the rings.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The issue does not occur under acceleration. It was the result of excessive vacuum, which only occurs under engine braking.

I have not noticed any perceivable difference in engine braking after the software update. It’s not like it’s holding the throttle fully open; it’s just cracking it enough to prevent excessive vacuum from building and drawing oil past the rings.
Thanks again for the feedback!!!! I am curious to find out how other people's trucks behave before and after having the TSB performed. If I get the truck going 50 to 60 MPH on a level surface and then take my foot off the gas and start downshifting from 10th gear in manual mode gear by gear, the RPMs rise, but I get virtually no engine breaking. I can't imagine that it was this way before. That said, if it fixes the oil consumption issue, then I guess that is a win, but engine breaking, especially when towing, would be nice.

JorgesRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well now I’ve got an appointment next week to get the update :confused: 2 quarts on about 4k miles, consistent too. Did all the visual checks and looked for oil in the lugs during the last change.

@FordTechOne can you confirm that TSB 20-2423 is the most current one for me? I have a 2020.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well now I’ve got an appointment next week to get the update :confused: 2 quarts on about 4k miles, consistent too. Did all the visual checks and looked for oil in the lugs during the last change.

@FordTechOne can you confirm that TSB 20-2423 is the most current one for me? I have a 2020.
TSB 20-2423 is correct. It applies to build dates on or before 9/11/2020.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im curious how others dont have oil consumption without the updated PCM program? is it driving style? I have never had any consumption and dont believe my pCM was updated, Build was 12/17 on 2018 model truck

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
im curious how others dont have oil consumption without the updated PCM program? is it driving style? I have never had any consumption and dont believe my pCM was updated, Build was 12/17 on 2018 model truck
Yes, and same here. My truck was built prior to the updated software and it uses no oil between oil changes.

The issue only occurs if you drive aggressively with a lot of engine braking.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, and same here. My truck was built prior to the updated software and it uses no oil between oil changes.

The issue only occurs if you drive aggressively with a lot of engine braking.
yea i rarely do that unless im at the dunes or off road, is it worth doing the update anyway?

JorgesRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfect. In reading the TSB, it’s pretty straight forward to the PCM reprogram right? I was just talking to the service manager and he was thinking since it lists out the valve cover parts and stuff that they need to be changed as part of the TSB, but I told him no. I told him it’s pretty much inspect for visible leaks and if none found reprogram the PCM and call it a day.

I’ve been in the Air Force for a long time now as a maintainer so I believe a have a pretty good understanding of how these work (although different names, same BS). Am I right?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Perfect. In reading the TSB, it’s pretty straight forward to the PCM reprogram right? I was just talking to the service manager and he was thinking since it lists out the valve cover parts and stuff that they need to be changed as part of the TSB, but I told him no. I told him it’s pretty much inspect for visible leaks and if none found reprogram the PCM and call it a day.

I’ve been in the Air Force for a long time now as a maintainer so I believe a have a pretty good understanding of how these work (although different names, same BS). Am I right?
Correct, you’ll just need the reprogram. Your truck would have been built post 04/19, so you already have the updated valve covers.