Burning Oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the leaking problem is definitely the sealing process. My 2018 has the plastic pan and zero leaks...

I'm still using the original plastic drain plug too. Truck has 57k miles, so it has been "used" 12 times so far. You just clean it up each time and reuse it until the O-ring shrinks too much to seal or you somehow break the plastic with your ham-fists. I initially bought ~5 of them because people on this forum said they were junk. Sometimes, well MANY times, "people" are wrong...

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
...currently working on an appointment with my dealer.

*****UPDATE*****
Finally I was able to get the ball rolling. This Sat they will program the PCM. I’m just curious: did anyone have the PCM update in the light of this 20-2423 TSB?
One more update - after performing the 20-2423 TSB and 700 miles later, the engine oil level is close to full. Based on my initial oil consumption I would've need to add a quart of oil by now. It seems that my truck no longer burns oil... YEAY! :)

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know exactly what PCM programming changes TSB# 20-2423 does? Is it a programming change just for trucks burning oil, or did all trucks released at a later date have this programming change incorporated? What is it changing? Is it a real root cause fix, or does it do something to compensate for another larger and more expensive issue that they do not want to address? Any impacts to performance, engine longevity, gas mileage, etc...?

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not see any program change at all with this TSB. It is just related to the bad valve covers.
https://www.tsbsearch.com/Ford/20-2423
Does anybody know exactly what PCM programming changes TSB# 20-2423 does? Is it a programming change just for trucks burning oil, or did all trucks released at a later date have this programming change incorporated? What is it changing? Is it a real root cause fix, or does it do something to compensate for another larger and more expensive issue that they do not want to address? Any impacts to performance, engine longevity, gas mileage, etc...?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The calibration change was applied to all trucks. The tight tolerances of these engines allows them to draw excessive vacuum on closed throttle deceleration. That vacuum was high enough that is was pulling oil past the piston rings, causing excessive oil consumption. The calibration change increases throttle angle on deceleration to keep vacuum in the normal range and prevent oil from being drawn into the cylinders. That was the root cause. Longevity, performance, and fuel economy are not affected.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The calibration change was applied to all trucks. The tight tolerances of these engines allows them to draw excessive vacuum on closed throttle deceleration. That vacuum was high enough that is was pulling oil past the piston rings, causing excessive oil consumption. The calibration change increases throttle angle on deceleration to keep vacuum in the normal range and prevent oil from being drawn into the cylinders. That was the root cause. Longevity, performance, and fuel economy are not affected.
Great response. Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had the TSB done and I’ve noticed that if I put it in manual mode and downshift through the gears, the RPMs rise, but I have very little, if any, engine breaking. My fear is that I have issues with oil getting past the piston rings and what they have essentially done is limited the oil consumption to just occurring while accelerating and significantly reduced it when decelerating, hence, I will burn half the oil and remain within their ridiculous oil consumption specs. Thoughts?

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2020 and had moderate oil burning at the first 5K miles. (about 2 quarts) After the first oil change it hasn't burned a noticeable amount since. I was pretty worried at the beginning though.