Burning Oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
The correct TSB# is 20-2423. If they only replaced one valve cover, then they did the TSB wrong. There is also a PCM update that needs to be performed.

The oil consumption of 500 miles per quart per only applies in high performance driving, such as running the Baja. Oil consumption at that rate under normal driving conditions is not deemed acceptable. The speciation is a maximum of 1 quart every 3,000 miles.

THANKS for your reply, my hopes are up again. I will have to check back with the dealer... Reading the sheet I got from them it seems that they replaced the both covers but just the left one was failing(?). Clearly they went with 19-2232 instead of going with 20-2423. There is no mention of any PCM update that they performed. In their defense, I did start working on this in November before 20-2423 was out but the actual repair the dealer performed in February and 20-2423 was out already. The service advisor told me that they replaced just one valve cover but in the service job log it says that they replaced both so I’m confused. Please see the job sheet below.
image.jpg

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
THANKS for your reply, my hopes are up again. I will have to check back with the dealer... Reading the sheet I got from them it seems that they replaced the both covers but just the left one was failing(?). Clearly they went with 19-2232 instead of going with 20-2423. There is no mention of any PCM update that they performed. In their defense, I did start working on this in November before 20-2423 was out but the actual repair the dealer performed in February and 20-2423 was out already. The service advisor told me that they replaced just one valve cover but in the service job log it says that they replaced both so I’m confused. Please see the job sheet below.
View attachment 164441

TSB 19-2232 was superseded as of 05/2020. The current TSB for Raptor is 20-2423, which directs to reprogram the PCM and replace the valve covers on early build vehicles. The dealer performed an outdated TSB; definitely bring it back in to have the correct procedure completed.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Mine is disappearing also. It actually ran out of oil and I got a limp mode/no oil pressure/red light. added a quart and was still barely registered so I limped over and just got a oil change. I did have the valve cover TSB preformed 19-2232 on July 23 2019. It’s going in Monday for the new 20-2423.

Tibi Steri

Reaction score
TSB 19-2232 was superseded as of 05/2020. The current TSB for Raptor is 20-2423, which directs to reprogram the PCM and replace the valve covers on early build vehicles. The dealer performed an outdated TSB; definitely bring it back in to have the correct procedure completed.
...currently working on an appointment with my dealer.

*****UPDATE*****
Finally I was able to get the ball rolling. This Sat they will program the PCM. I’m just curious: did anyone have the PCM update in the light of this 20-2423 TSB?

Last edited:

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score

So my 2019 was done according to the TSB 19-2232.

So do I now need my PCM reprogrammed?

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I literally am having my oil pan replaced now... because of a leak, so its a thing.

And the 2017s had the plastic oil pans sooooo

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I literally am having my oil pan replaced now... because of a leak, so its a thing.

And the 2017s had the plastic oil pans sooooo

There is a TSB for the oil pan leak on ‘17 and early ‘18 models. The plastic pan is not the issue; it’s the sealing process. The TSB provides a very specific new procedure to clean, prep, and seal the pan so it’s won’t have a repeat leak.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a TSB for the oil pan leak on ‘17 and early ‘18 models. The plastic pan is not the issue; it’s the sealing process. The TSB provides a very specific new procedure to clean, prep, and seal the pan so it’s won’t have a repeat leak.

Interesting.
Thanks for clarifying. I am still baffled by the selection of material used for an oil pan. I suppose that doesnt matter if they can't seal it correctly.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting.
Thanks for clarifying. I am still baffled by the selection of material used for an oil pan. I suppose that doesnt matter if they can't seal it correctly.

One of the reasons composite is used is because it provides better NVH characteristics than steel or aluminum. On the original design like yours, there is an aluminum upper oil pan and a composite lower oil pan. This creates 2 separate surfaces to seal, increasing the chance of a leak, especially since the two materials are dissimilar. Hence the special procedure in the TSB.