Built motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
People have been beating the crap out of these things in Mustangs and ZL1 Camaros. The ZL1 makes 650/650/. I dont see the trans being an issue.

I'd actually be far more concerned with the torque management system and the tcase.

I'd bet that the trans isnt the weak link, its the tcase.

Looking forward to seeing the big power builds and what they are looking like cost wise.

LVsFINEST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People have been beating the crap out of these things in Mustangs and ZL1 Camaros. The ZL1 makes 650/650/. I dont see the trans being an issue.

I'm pretty sure those are different models of transmissions. No idea about the ZL1, but for example the transmission in the Raptor is 10r80, but the 10 speed in the new super duty is 10r140 (Last number is power rating - it can handle 1400nm of torque, AKA ~1000 ft lbs).

Each handles different amounts of power yet most people will say they're the same transmission.... I'm guessing it's very likely the transmission in the ZL1 is *not identical* to the Raptor's.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd actually be far more concerned with the torque management system and the tcase.

I'd bet that the trans isnt the weak link, its the tcase.

Looking forward to seeing the big power builds and what they are looking like cost wise.

not sure about the tcase, but my understanding is the rear axle is the weak link in all of this.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
not sure about the tcase, but my understanding is the rear axle is the weak link in all of this.

It has nothing to do with the housing. the spiders with the elocker are the weak point. and not so much weak, as the spiders/carrier flexes too much when "locked" if shock throttle is applied.

net/net - there is nothing wrong with the stock rear end if you don't drive like a knucklehead, regardless of horsepower.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with the housing. the spiders with the elocker are the weak point. and not so much weak, as the spiders/carrier flexes too much when "locked" if shock throttle is applied.

net/net - there is nothing wrong with the stock rear end if you don't drive like a knucklehead, regardless of horsepower.

The diff is what I was referring to. I agree about the knucklehead part, but sadly that's a bit of a given with some...

LoganR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The diff is what I was referring to. I agree about the knucklehead part, but sadly that's a bit of a given with some...

Granted, there is probably ~2000 lbs between the two, but several stock 9.75’s have been in the 9’s (800+ rwhp) in Lightning’s. The diff is often upgraded to a TrueTrac at some point, but we aren’t talking about launching with slicks in a raptor either.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score

Foutz ran the entire baja1000 in a gen2 with the rear dif locked. in all reality, the strength or weakness of the rear axle is 100% dependent on the skills of the driver in these things.

The other option is to throw a currie rear end into the trucks, but if you do that, all of the whiz-bang electronic gizmos stop working, including the 4x4 Auto functionality.