Build your own VHF Radio Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LVdezertdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on price I might be in for two...

Thanks, we will have the update and hopefully prices soon. I could not be happier with the radios, they are so multi functional at a great price point. On the ham side, I have spoke to people in Japan, Hawaii, England and all over the US. On the Raptor side using them on the trail is so much clearer that either CB or hand held (Wally World units).

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's awesome dawg I'm pretty excited about these radios to the more I read up on them! We'll be waiting for your update patiently haha :waytogo:

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been playing with the Wouxy now for a few days and overall its an awesome radio for the money.

But I think are a few quirks to know to help avoid frustration. Mark, Ric et al by all means chime in and set me straight on any of this

-if you're in channel mode, you cant make settings changes to things like CTCSS, DCS, Offset frequency or direction. Even more annoying, you can't even view a few of them within the menu (for example offset freq).

-editing and saving channels is pretty cumbersome. Definitely get yourself the programming cable and free software and go that route.

-I find myself missing a squelch wheel. On the Wouxy you need to drill down thru a menu to set it via a "level" number.

-its be really cool if those two side buttons were more configurable. Their usefulness is pretty limited as of this moment.

-there's no auto off! Turn it on and forget about it and you'll find yourself with dead batteries.

Still, with all that said, this thing earns a solid B+ in my book regardless of price. Then consider its only $120ish? and that rating goes to an A. You can't beat it for the money, period.

PS: Anyone added a Tiger Tail yet? I'm able to (barely) hit a repeater from inside my house 30 miles away with one where without I couldn't. I wonder how that will translate in the dirt in simplex.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been playing with the Wouxy now for a few days and overall its an awesome radio for the money.

But I think are a few quirks to know to help avoid frustration. Mark, Ric et al by all means chime in and set me straight on any of this

-if you're in channel mode, you cant make settings changes to things like CTCSS, DCS, Offset frequency or direction. Even more annoying, you can't even view a few of them within the menu (for example offset freq).

-editing and saving channels is pretty cumbersome. Definitely get yourself the programming cable and free software and go that route.

-I find myself missing a squelch wheel. On the Wouxy you need to drill down thru a menu to set it via a "level" number.

-its be really cool if those two side buttons were more configurable. Their usefulness is pretty limited as of this moment.

-there's no auto off! Turn it on and forget about it and you'll find yourself with dead batteries.

Still, with all that said, this thing earns a solid B+ in my book regardless of price. Then consider its only $120ish? and that rating goes to an A. You can't beat it for the money, period.

PS: Anyone added a Tiger Tail yet? I'm able to (barely) hit a repeater from inside my house 30 miles away with one where without I couldn't. I wonder how that will translate in the dirt in simplex.

There are some tips and tricks for programming via the keypad but to be honest, I was surprised at Jason's first post where he said the programming was easy and intuitive... I don't think it is. If you're into changing the programming, the cable is worth the money. But if you are out and about, you can make changes via the keypad. There is a small wallet-sized laminated "quick reference card" available for about $6 that is worth the money for field programming.

Squelch is something I just leave set at the factory default. The radio works great as it comes. Never found a need or desire to change it. Pressing and holding the "flashlight" button will override squelch and any CTCSS "receive" tones to allow unrestricted "momentary" monitoring if that helps?

I've had my radio on (mostly listening) for 17 hours before the battery went dead... that's pretty good battery life in my book. But I also have the "battery eliminator" option that allows the radio to run off the cigarette lighter. There is also an optional battery adapter that will power the radio with AA batteries.

Also, the standard charger that comes with the radio has a 12v input on the back... but you have to find or make your own cable. (I have one from a lantern that works fine)

Last option is to buy a spare battery... the charger is capable of charging the battery without the radio.

besides the features I mentioned in other posts, I really like the voice prompts!

On to the "group buy" info...

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wouxun Group Buy

OK... so we visited the local store and approached them about a group buy...

There is some good news and some bad news...

The bad news is that they were not interested in giving a price break no matter what the quantity. We even tried to get just a 5% break on the accessories. No dice.

The manager said there just isn't enough mark up in the Wouxun line to allow any discounts. In fact, he showed us some of the exact same accessories for other radios that were more than twice the price of the Wouxun items! (earpiece microphone and speaker mic... I really like using the speaker mic!)

(Just FYI, the Wouxun uses the same plug as Kenwood)

Bottom line: You can buy the radio anywhere you want to for about $120.

BUT, if you buy the radio from this store, what they will do is program it for FREE. You will receive an (unlocked) radio with the GMRS, "race", and MURS frequencies already programmed and ready to use.

I've already given them the program list. I will try to post a copy here.

Anyone interested can contact:

Luke Rohn
AES
800-634-6227
[email protected]

And tell him you want the Wouxun set up with the FRF programming.

They will ship fast and to anywhere in the country.

I will put the FRF pre-programmed frequency list in another post.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sweet deal even if there is no discount haha at least I do t have I fumble around and try to program the freqs into it. Are the freqs that we are gonna be using at the run also included in that list that he's gonna pre program into the radios or are we gonna have to put those in ourselves

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mark just to clarify, I probably used the wrong word when I said "programming" in my first post. I meant directly dialing in a freq, an offset, + or - and an encode. Much easier to me than my icom or Yaesu was.

As for everything else, thanks! Good thoughts.

LVdezertdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet deal even if there is no discount haha at least I do t have I fumble around and try to program the freqs into it. Are the freqs that we are gonna be using at the run also included in that list that he's gonna pre program into the radios or are we gonna have to put those in ourselves

Yes they will be preprogrammed for you, Mark is writing down the list of frequencies that are to be preprogrammed.