Build your own VHF Radio Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I actually spent about an hour at my local Ham Radio Outlet today and I ended up having the 2 employees and three customers out going over my truck. The combined ham radio experience in that 5some was probably north of 150 years.

Unanimously they felt that no, no grounding to the truck's frame is required for UHF/VHF assuming the proper antenna and unanimously they agreed that mounting to the roof was the best way to go. However after I explained I wanted to run with a permanent mount (no mag mount), that I don't want to drill any holes, and that I don't have any room to go up top and yet still fit in my garage, they all agreed I'd be just fine with a tailgate mount... just like I used to have. I asked specifically if mounting it mid gate was an issue (because 1/3 of the antenna would be below the bed cover's plane), and we even mocked it up with a sample antenna, and again they all agreed it wouldn't be any issue at all. Basically, since the first choice is out (on the roof) anywhere else will pretty much work equally as well.

So there's that. They could all be wrong, but they seemed pretty sure they weren't.

One other point regarding the medal contact or mounting to plastic... if you look at any of those specialty mounts for things like door jambs and sills, tailgates and trunks... they all are rubber lined to protect the paint and help minimize vibration. That's maybe a little bit of evidence that ya don't need to be in direct contact with the truck's ground to be effective?

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I also went to a local radio supply and started asking questions.. After a while (after I earned their trust or something) they wanted to check out my setup. After about 30 minutes or so they were giving me all kind of advice, pointers, and help.. They tuned my antenna (Laird Tech BB1322W no ground plane antenna), and said this was a good choice for the mount (thanks BIGJ).
They said a lip mount is not the ideal location for an antenna, that roof mount is the best location. But they understood my concerns about mounting one at that location. They said the only issues they see with my rig, is forward TX distance will be reduced because of my truck blocking most of the antenna. They put a meter and tuned it to my radio. Even though it says that it is pretunned from the factory, each radio and setup is different and needs to be tuned to the application.
The only other issue they saw was the way I was powering my radio. I am using the upfitter switch, and they said this would inject noise. My best option would be to directly wire the radio to the battery. If I wanted to keep using the upfitter switches that I needed to install a RFI filter and just run the ground to the battery, instead of random bolt under the dash..
I am glad I stopped. I thought everything was good to go. Looks like there are a few more little things I need to do.. Big thanks to BIGJ and everyone else for the hardwork and ideas!!

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Thanks for posting guys! Lots of good info here. My VHF antenna will be roof mounted but want something on the bed for my CB. I found this and will be asking around to see if it will work. Hoping to do a quick disconnect through the plastic rail covers so its easy on easy off. I only really need it for road trips.

http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-ss294a-pickup-truck-stake-hole-pocket-antenna-mount-p-308.html

SS294A_3.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DubbsFaris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the biggest things I like about this is how much I have learned about these radios since I bought one. I got my ICOM installed, and didnt know the first thing about using it. Because I dont like not knowing how to use things, I went into the software, and read the whole help guide it comes with. That showed me how to go in and manually input each bank entry, and that allowed me to really understand HOW the radio works. The instruction manual it comes with isnt good for wiping your ass, but the software gave me an immediate crash course in all the settings it has.

Im still dont know how to use the some of the functions, such as the DTMS and the scan function wasnt explained well enough for me to understand how it works, but I was able to input the freguencies, label them, set the squelch, set the power gain, and understand how the buttons actually work the unit.

The Raptor run will be valuable to me simply because we will be able to ramp up everyone on how to use these radios properly and get them tuned in just right. I value that just as much as getting the seat time on the course to be honest.

I may be buying my crews (road construction) a couple of these radios for comm since many roads we build are out of cellular range, and a job might be 10 miles or longer. (I have a SAT phone for that already)

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice Cine! Snap a few pics during the install too if ta dont mind?

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For those guys using the Wouxun kg-uv3d what antennas are you using I have a mag mount one but the connector is different

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a hell of a time finding 6' patch cable sma-pl259.. I ordered a custom cable from the antenna farm..
The one I ordered from amazon was reverse polarity.. :mad:

-Greg