Build your own VHF Radio Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Details please?

Way back when I installed a Cobra CB in my Raptor... required for some 4WD clubs if you want to go on a run with them.

See Thread:

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f12/cb-antenna-install-5606/

The CB antenna mount has a 3/8"-24 thread... the cable end in the truck is a standard PL-259.

So I bought a MFJ-1414 dual band 2m/70cm antenna that threads right into the CB mount. And I have the PL-259 to SMA-J adapter for in the cab to connect to the Wouxun.

We tested the range in a previous post with the mag mounts on the roof but the last test we did was for me to switch to my MFJ mounted on the bed rail. We did not test the absolute range, but at the 7 1/2 mile practical limit of the mag mounts, 'dawg could hear me better and I could hear him better than with the mag mount.

Best thing is I can still use the CB by switching back to the CB antenna!

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

"Mounting" the Wouxun

With the factory antenna and no speaker-mic, you just use the Wouxun like any other handheld...

But when I use an external antenna (and I think it's best to have a speaker-mic with an external antenna), I simply put the Wouxun in a cupholder and stuff in a paper bag to hold it tight. (Carl's Jr. bags work well :lol:)

They do make fancy radio holders... but this crude method survived some pretty good runs including a couple "weightless" hits where everything in the truck (including everything in my shirt pocket!) went airborne for a second. But the radio stayed in place... just don't stuff the bag against the buttons.

I clip the speaker-mike either to my shirt or the seatbelt and just push the button and talk normally... don't need to hold it like you would normally hold a mic while talking... just leave it clipped to my shirt.

Last edited:

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just ordered my radio up from Luke great guy to deal with and is programming it as wee speak and said he will ship it out In the next 20 mi s now that's speedy service very nice :waytogo:

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup I'm sure I will too I also got the speaker mic and the 12V cigaret lighter battery delet thing haha So I should be set for the run now just waiting til Wednesday when my RPG stage 3 kit gets here :peace:

Last edited:

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey you generals out there, I need a lil antenna help. I bought the Comet M-24 but I've decided I just really don't like a mag mount. So I took the thing apart and was able to separate the mag base from the actual antenna.

Can I just poke a hole somewhere and bolt it down via a nut in the back? Most likely that hole will be in plastic; does the antenna need to be in contact with a metal surface, or is plastic ok?

Mark, I'm probably going to put it right where you put yours (the rear corner of the bed) but this antenna is so light I think thru the plastic cap is plenty strong. Thoughts?

LVdezertdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I just poke a hole somewhere and bolt it down via a nut in the back? Most likely that hole will be in plastic; does the antenna need to be in contact with a metal surface, or is plastic ok?

Big J, I do not believe that the antennae would be properly grounded only bolting it to the plastic. If you did choose to mount that way then you would have to ground the antennae to either the truck or the sheathing material on the coax cable, it is usually copper underneath the exterior rubber coating. I believe it should be easier to mount where some metal is in contact with a proper ground.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Yeah,
From what i have been told its all about ground plane. The bigger the ground plane the better the reception. Not sure what multiplication factor but it could be something we could test out in the field. The roof is always by far the best place for antennas for that reason. Not to mention no obstructions which also play a big role.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Just ordered my wux radio and they are having a sale today only where the radio is $99! For $150 I got a radio, hand speaker and extra battery shipped!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk