Build your own VHF Radio Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
A lot of people have been asking me about VHF radios for the upcoming Texas Raptor Run, and I have steered them to a company that puts together VHF radio packages, but I also wanted to show that you can easily build your own package. This is pretty much the setup I put together with the exception of a newer model radio. I purchased everything from the The Antenna Farm.

What you need to put together a package is a radio, antenna and antenna mount. I went with a mag mount because I didn't really feel like drilling a big hole in the roof of my raptor. I probably would today, but it wasn't an option when the truck had 10k miles.

The Radio:
I went with an Icom F121 (New Model is the Icom F5021). Due to its mil-spec rating, and the simplicity. It's not field programmable so you don't have to worry about someone accidentally hitting a button and messing the unit all up. Downside to this is, if you don't have a particular frequency in the unit then you can't add it in the field (without a laptop, but more on that later). $250
Icom F5021
I suggest wiring directly to the battery, but you can get a 12v plug adapter too.

The Mag Base: $30
Simple enough here, any NMO base will do. I like this one, its small and doesn't fall off unless you hit a tree pretty hard. It does need a PL-259 male end on it though.
Mag Base

The Antenna:
I like the Larsen NMO-150, its just a straight whip antenna with no spring, hasn't failed me yet. It has to be trimmed for frequency somewhere in the 150-155mhz range will work. $30
Larsen NMO150C [NMO150C] - $29.95 : The Antenna Farm :: , Your Two Way Radio Source!

Programming:
I have not tested my software and cable with the Icom F5021, The antenna farm shows the cable being the same, but I am not sure about the software. I am doing some research into this, hopefully I will have an answer soon. If it does work, and you're going to the Texas Raptor run, I can program your radio out there. You can also buy the software and cable as a kit for $50, and I can provide a freq list. Cable and Software

So even with the cable and software you are only looking at $360 vs $399. Without the software you're at $310, saving 90 bucks.

I realize that this isn't an end all be all guide to VHF radios, as there are tons of different radio manufactures, etc. But this is a decent start for someone looking to get a VHF for their truck...

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very nice haha once again treypal you have helped me out a lot with this whole radio thing I'll see what I can build haha great write up with all the info I needed :waytogo:

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Treypal, mind posting a pic of your installation (just the radio)? I looked in your profile but didn't see one.

Thanks!

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Great Writeup Trey!
Quick question... do you think it would be possible to mount that antenna on one of the Outlaw hood light mounts? Thinking that is where mine is going to go for now.

Just pulled the trigger on this puppy... Can't wait! Anyone else going to have APRS at the raptor run?? Would be fun to play with...

H0-010895A.jpg

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Great Writeup Trey!
Quick question... do you think it would be possible to mount that antenna on one of the Outlaw hood light mounts? Thinking that is where mine is going to go for now.

Just pulled the trigger on this puppy... Can't wait! Anyone else going to have APRS at the raptor run?? Would be fun to play with...

H0-010895A.jpg

You wont get a good ground plane mounting it there.

What radio is that and what's APRS?

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

Great Writeup Trey!

H0-010895A.jpg

Did you order it with the modification to transmit on 136-174? If not it wont work on race freqs.

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Hmm, I'm stating to think that my 3 watt Cobra hand held VHF radio wont cut it at the Texas run.

It will actually work pretty well. It wont cover the whole track but it will keep up with the pack and you can relay, etc...