Build or sell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Unfortunately my Raptor is in the barn and I can’t post pictures tonight, I’m not the click pics of everything type. But they’ll be coming soon. I don’t own a Prius so please don’t shame, I’m looking for serious advice.

What I have: 2011 basic SCab, white, not a great factory find, however it has been partially built for Baja, seriously built but about 80% complete. 175,000 miles but not beat or rusty.

What I can do: three options.
1. Sell it as it, getting my money back and enjoy the more than a year I’ve had.
2. Finish the 20% for around $5000 or less, but some time will be required to do the rest. And sell it.
3. Put $17,000 to $20,000 in the truck to finish the 20% and a wish list to include a full wrap. And keep it as my forever trophy truck.

Basically, I’m asking what would you do out of the three options and why?

And thanks for all your advice.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place. Well since you've only had it for a year, you aren't attached to it yet. The truck if properly maintained has another 100k left in it before major mechanical is needed (engine,ex). Are you planning on buying something else for offroading? I'm not you, so I would keep it,, as I've had my 2010 since new. You should probably sell it.

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Maybe not right away but I won’t have to walk if I smile and ask nicely.
It will be replaced by another Ford truck or suv but nothing classic whether rebuild or not and yet nothing new. Sweet spot 2010-2014. or get a beater for $500 and look for two years when there’s some used 2018-2022.

CoronaRaptor: In the situation of one year of ownership never having owned anything like this but love everything but cloth seats and exterior color and knowing the expected cost, would you keep it? Why? You are more knowledgeable than I, please convince me logically to do option 3. I am not attached but I have certainly never owned anything like it.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe not right away but I won’t have to walk if I smile and ask nicely.
It will be replaced by another Ford truck or suv but nothing classic whether rebuild or not and yet nothing new. Sweet spot 2010-2014. or get a beater for $500 and look for two years when there’s some used 2018-2022.

CoronaRaptor: In the situation of one year of ownership never having owned anything like this but love everything but cloth seats and exterior color and knowing the expected cost, would you keep it? Why? You are more knowledgeable than I, please convince me logically to do option 3. I am not attached but I have certainly never owned anything like it.
Lets see some pics of it. Cloth seats are nice in cold climates and hot for that matter. So what ugly color do you have or is it just beat up a bit. If yours is rust free, you should keep it, it would give you years of fun. It will get harder and harder to ever get that v8 sound again, if that matters to you, does to me and a lot of others. Gen 1's are easier to work on and don't have as much electronics, only real negative is changing the plugs, but thats only every 100k.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By partially built, what do you mean.

Whats the 20% left to do?

Is the ~20K to complete doable?

Mostly, do you want to finish it?

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% keep it and finish the build right. I am with the other comment... engine should go forever, but check it out for ticks and rattles before committing that it is good.... maybe change spark plugs too:)
If you were to sell, I bet it would be in the $30k max range... that might help you make the decision right there.

Jayford

Reaction score
I would say hand down #3. Keep it and build it. I'm doing the same thing with my 2014 that has 155,000 miles on it. Rebuild should be done beginning of next year.