Bucking and snorting on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
FatBuoy

FatBuoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy shit! Just logged back in to Sasquatch crap again. And not just Sas, but the whole "pouncing on the wounded crow" bloodbath extravaganza. Ha! For *** sake.

Ok. So i have 1,000 miles, and live in Dallas which is fairly humid. We have 87, 89 and 93 octane here. I put mid in, as I had thought 87 was ok, but just to add the xtra security... But point taken. And I'll do 93 and report back.

But here's my final head scratcher. Why doesn't it seem to do it in sport?

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Holy shit! Just logged back in to Sasquatch crap again. And not just Sas, but the whole "pouncing on the wounded crow" bloodbath extravaganza. Ha! For *** sake.

Ok. So i have 1,000 miles, and live in Dallas which is fairly humid. We have 87, 89 and 93 octane here. I put mid in, as I had thought 87 was ok, but just to add the xtra security... But point taken. And I'll do 93 and report back.

Man you are lucky you have 93 in Dallas. 92 here.

dlbb

Full Access Member
Reaction score

sport remaps the throttle inputs and shift point. lighter throttle required and higher shifts?

oh and i haven't seen 93 since 2001 lol i can get 100 from a certain gas station but that is too much lol 91 all day here.

Ray Knight

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing! I'm about ready to take it in to the dealer. I've only ever used 93 octane. In ANY and all modes mine does this. Its not smooth. It feels like its not getting enough fuel. It surges and feels slow. Almost like traction control is intervening but that's not the case. Even in 4A at 60mph it feels exactly the same. It happened a few times at first but now its almost always. It may even be transmission related. Like its cutting back timing to shift but not at the right time. No idea.

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

Tomorrow I am going to check and make sure all intercooler pipe clamps are tight. This actually feels a lot like a boost leek now that I think about it.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing! I'm about ready to take it in to the dealer. I've only ever used 93 octane. In ANY and all modes mine does this. Its not smooth. It feels like its not getting enough fuel. It surges and feels slow. Almost like traction control is intervening but that's not the case. Even in 4A at 60mph it feels exactly the same. It happened a few times at first but now its almost always. It may even be transmission related. Like its cutting back timing to shift but not at the right time. No idea.

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

Tomorrow I am going to check and make sure all intercooler pipe clamps are tight. This actually feels a lot like a boost leek now that I think about it.

It's not the gas. The truck should operate normally with 87. Mins does just fine. Tuning could be an issue, who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray Knight

Reaction score
It's not the gas. The truck should operate normally with 87. Mins does just fine. Tuning could be an issue, who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally stock truck with 4,000 miles. Only pedal commander. Tried taking that off as well. No difference.

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

The intercooler weep hole thing may have some merit! Tons of write-ups and videos on it. I might try it. Can always plug it back up if no difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI89TIPV_pM

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I experienced the same thing the first couple of times I mashed on it, but it seems to have cleared up. My initial thought was that there may have been some condensation in the intercooler (and that in fact may be the case), but like I said, it seems to be a self-resolving issue in my case.

DrumReaper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed it on startup only. After the truck warms it's gone.

Of note, I ran 87 octane a few times and noticed the retard input from the engine and the hesitation/jerkiness.

Since, I have ran Costco 93 octane and it's a blissful experience. Sas77 just likes to vent... he's harmless, unless you actually do what he says.

Gas does make a difference.

1DXmk2

Reaction score
Mine had the same issue and I took it the dealer. Had the service manager ride along and he confirmed the surging. After they spent a day with it, they said their other raptor on the lot did the same thing so they believed it was normal...

Bottom line, after I started running 93 octane and cleared the cheap dealer fuel out of the system, the truck smoothed out. It will still occasionally surge a bit under hard acceleration when cold, but the higher octane fuel does make a noticeable difference.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

any chance it’s the trans tq converter? it’s a lock up converter right? if locked in economy mode, it would need to unlock to get better acceleration. This could account for the symptom you describe, I think. Maybe a cell phone video would help.