Best startup Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the must have / best bang for the buck starter mods that seem to be most popular for the 6.2? All I'm looking at now is a CIA.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What Zboater said. You could probably skip the CAI if you want. I have one but am not convinced it does anything other than make my engine louder. Tune will give you the biggest "seat of the pants" increase.

subseashooter

Reaction score
It's been a LONG time since I've 'tuned' anything, and at the time I used a timing light and turned the distributor...LOL!

What kind of 'tunes' are out there, and how does one go about the process of getting tuned?

Thanks!!

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's been a LONG time since I've 'tuned' anything, and at the time I used a timing light and turned the distributor...LOL!

What kind of 'tunes' are out there, and how does one go about the process of getting tuned?

Thanks!!

It's all computer driven these days. So here's the CNN version.

You buy a little hand held computer that programs your truck. It does the "tuning".

You buy software (a "tune") from a reputable vendor. These tunes are "canned", meaning they are somewhat generic for a particular engine type (6.2) and for a particular application (racing, towing, cruising, saving gas, a particular gas octane, etc.)

Once you decide which "tune" you like, and some tuners may even adjust their tune files based on your particular preferences or mods, they email you the file. You load it up on the hand held computer. You plug the computer to the truck, you push some buttons, and voila! You are tuned.

Choosing the right brand of hand held computer (tuner) and the vendor for the canned tunes is important. You can also have your truck custom tuned, where a tuner hooks your truck to a dyno and makes custom adjustments to your tune file. But the canned tunes are cheaper and pretty good.

And that is my version of Tuning 101. :baby:

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Secondary USB port in the console was the first mod I did. Secondary USB Installation Guide Do new trucks come with this already?

New trucks come with 2 USB ports, AV cables, an SD card port, and a cigarette charger all confined in the center console. Then we have the primary cigarette charger to the right of the head unit. Not to mention Bluetooth streaming.

slowest member of WCPR

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Try the $100 mods thread.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/under-$100-mods-22877/

Java

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my first real mod was a bump stop. If you want to play hard start there.