Best / Recommended Octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
91 octane is all we have at most stations. I don't believe in in the corn gas. All the 87 octane here has ethanol in it.

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
91 octane is all we have at most stations. I don't believe in in the corn gas. All the 87 octane here has ethanol in it.

So you're saying that Wilson is wrong?

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

I typically run 87 octane 100% gasoline from a branded station. As far as detergents etc., it's all fairly similar as long as it's from a Top Tier station. Top Tier Gasoline. I drive mostly around town during the week and I figure the 10hp isn't a really big deal since the torque stays the same. Also, I don't see the point in switching back and forth between 87 and 91 etc. unless you're going to empty out the tank between fill ups.

The only Top Tier retailer around here from that list is Shell, and their gas is 25 cents/gallon more than I get it from Marathon in the next county. That's a pretty big difference.

If the difference ends up just being about emissions, I don't give a damn. This green nonsense is simply political BS. We're not destroying the earth, but the politicians want us to think so, so we'll give them more power.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have over 9000 miles on e-30 getting 13 to 14mpg with the duratracs. it is 10 cents cheaper and I had it 125 in under 2 miles easy js

Wrong Way

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only difference in gas from the major oil company`s to the "no names" is the additives.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Merry Christmas Everyone

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

and they use ethanol to make crap gas work. that is what gives ethanol a bad taste.

mrmojoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the difference ends up just being about emissions, I don't give a damn. This green nonsense is simply political BS. We're not destroying the earth, but the politicians want us to think so, so we'll give them more power.

I modded my truck to run on tin foil hats, have any extra? :Pshyco:

genus727

Reaction score
It looks like a bunch of you are running 91+ octane. Is everyone who is doing this have an aftermarket tune? Why would you be running an octane greater than 87 without the aftermarket tune? The engine compression is low enough and the engine timing is set up to avoid knocking at 87 octane. I run 87 all day long without knocking. As far as I know, the factory 6.2L engine isn't equipped with an octane sensor, which would change timing with a higher octane. My thought is that using a higher octane gas is a waste of money unless you are doing so for the additives put in higher octane gas (i.e. Techron).

Last edited:

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It looks like a bunch of you are running 91+ octane. Is everyone who is doing this have an aftermarket tune? Why would you be running an octane greater than 87 without the aftermarket tune? The engine compression is low enough and the engine timing is set up to avoid knocking at 87 octane. I run 87 all day long without knocking. As far as I know, the factory 6.4L engine isn't equipped with an octane sensor, which would change timing with a higher octane. My thought is that using a higher octane gas is a waste of money unless you are doing so for the additives put in higher octane gas (i.e. Techron).

How'd you get a 6.4L gas burner or is it a 6.4L Diesel? :********: