Best / Recommended Octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Make your own Fuel

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Just FYI I hope people know you can't drink e-30 or e-10 or whatever ethanol is mixed with. You can only drink 100% ethanol. I don't want some of you crazies drinking some of Wilson's mix and then half of FRF members don't come back.

Denaturants that Wilson talks about in his paragraph in short means that they poisoned it so people don't drink it.

We use 14 lbs gas which is Natural Gas you use to cook off your stove "not Propane" into liquid state and dump it in the 100% ethanol.

Just looking out for people.

Now back to Wilson's words of wisdom

:lol2: ya don't be silly. hows the indys doing they run like 98 right too bad we all can't use that much but for now e-30 imo works the best for any engine. all so imo should never have came out with e-85 until all vehicle's could use it and all can use e-30

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Indy Cars Run on Ethanol

by Don Ames
Indy Cars Run on Ethanol

The Greenest Racing On The Planet—IndyCars

by Dale Y the Green Guy
If you have ever heard of The Indy 500, then you know a little bit about IndyCars. These are the open wheel cars that race around street courses and ovals at over 200-plus miles per hour. At the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the cars will travel at over 230 miles per hour down the straights!
Names like A.J. Foyt, Mario Andretti, Al and Bobby Unser, Rick Mears and a host of other equally famous drivers have competed in this series, and it is still going strong to this day. In fact, the Indy 500 is the most watched race in the world, bar none, and somewhere around 300,000 people actually attend the race every Memorial Day weekend.
What a lot of people don’t know is that the Indy race cars run on 100% ethanol fuel. No gas, no diesel, just pure sustainable ethanol made from plants and other vegetable matter. The engines that propel these beautiful cars put out around 650 horsepower, proving that ethanol is as good of a racing fuel as gasoline. Because they burn ethanol, the cars put out very few pollutants when they run, exactly the same as any ethanol powered vehicle would.
The best part about using ethanol is the safety factor.

Gasoline is incredibly volatile due to its lower flash point. Ethanol, on the other hand, doesn’t burn as quickly or as violently as gasoline. This lends to the safety of the sport because there is more time to react to an engine fuel fire, and more time to react when getting a driver out of a dangerous situation. The proof is in the pudding. Since ethanol has been used in these cars, there have been no serious burns recorded. Consider that during the gasoline powered days of years gone past, burning up in a car was a feared and dreaded possibility every time a race was run. No more with ethanol use.
If you like racing or not, that is your choice, and as a whole, I don’t tune in to other forms of racing. But it is hard for me to argue with a venue that promotes its green initiative by using a 100% sustainable fuel. Granted, the series is not totally green by any stretch of the imagination, but they are on the right track because no one else in the world runs ethanol as a racing fuel.
I’ll be watching the IndyCar races this year, to be sure. And with every drop of ethanol they use for fuel, it will continue to confirm the fact that this is the greenest racing on the planet.

check-small.png check-small.png check-small.png

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so people don't drink it. what did the first ford run on?

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Engine and means of starting
Main article: Ford Model T engine
The Model T had a 177-cubic-inch (2.9 L) front-mounted inline four-cylinder en bloc flathead engine (that is, all four cylinders in one block, as common now, rather than in individual castings, as common then) producing 20 hp (15 kW) for a top speed of 40–45 mph (64–72 km/h). The Model T four-cylinder side valve engine was first in the world with a detachable head, making service like valve jobs easier. According to Ford Motor Company, the Model T had fuel economy on the order of 13–21 mpg-US (16–25 mpg-imp; 18–11 L/100 km).[12] The engine was capable of running on gasoline, kerosene, or ethanol,[13][14] although the decreasing cost of gasoline and the later introduction of Prohibition made ethanol an impractical fuel.
220px-%2726_Ford_T_engine.jpg
1926 engine

A flywheel magneto was an electrical generator that produced the high voltage necessary to produce a spark to initiate combustion. This voltage was distributed by the timer (analogous to a distributor in a modern vehicle) to one of the four trembler coils, one for each cylinder. The coil created a high voltage current, directly connected to the spark plug in the cylinder. Ignition timing was adjusted manually by using the spark advance lever mounted on the steering column which rotated the timer. A battery could be used for starting current: at hand-cranking speed, the magneto did not always produce sufficient current (a starting battery was not standard equipment until sometime in 1926, though all T's had a labeled "bat"-tery position on the coil box switch). A certain amount of skill and experience was required to find the optimal timing for any speed and load. When electric headlights were introduced in 1915, the magneto was upgraded to supply power for the lights and horn. In keeping with the goal of ultimate reliability and simplicity, the trembler coil and magneto ignition system was retained even after the car became equipped with a generator[15] and battery for electric starting and lighting. Most cars sold after 1919 were equipped with electric starting, which was engaged by a small round foot-operated button switch on the floor.
220px-1910Ford-T.jpg
1910 Model T, photographed in Salt Lake City

Before starting a Model T with the hand crank, the spark had to be manually retarded or the engine might "kick back". The crank handle was cupped in the palm, rather than grabbed with the thumb under the top of the handle, so that if the engine did kick back, the rapid reverse motion of the crank would throw the hand away from the handle, rather than violently twisting the wrist or breaking the thumb. Most Model T Fords had the choke operated by a wire emerging from the bottom of the radiator where it could be operated with the left hand. This was used to prime the engine while cranking the engine slowly then starting the engine with the left hand with a rapid pull of the crank handle. The car only had to be cranked half a turn for it to successfully start. This "quick start" is because of the engine's small displacement and low compression.
The car's 10 US gal (38 l; 8 imp gal) fuel tank was mounted to the frame beneath the front seat; one variant had the carburetor (a Holley Model G) modified to run on ethyl alcohol, to be made at home by the self-reliant farmer. Because Ford relied on gravity to feed fuel to the carburetor rather than a fuel pump, a Model T could not climb a steep hill when the fuel level was low. The immediate solution was to climb steep hills in reverse. In 1926, the fuel tank was moved forward to under the cowl on most models.[16]
Early on, the engine blocks were to be produced by the Lakeside Foundry on St. Jean in Detroit. Ford cancelled the deal before many were produced.
The first few hundred Model Ts had a water pump, but it was eliminated early in production. Ford opted for a cheaper and more reliable thermo-syphon system. Hot water, being less dense, would rise to the top of the engine and up into the top of the radiator, descending to the bottom as it cooled, and back into the engine. This was the direction of water flow in most cars which did have water pumps, until the introduction of crossflow radiator designs. Many types of water pumps were available as aftermarket accessories.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...qIGoBQ&usg=AFQjCNEpms902qQ4Yf28_Kn3PUCECUl26g

Last edited:

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I try to run unleaded whenever possible

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

TXCobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always run 93...or 91 if I happen to be in an area that doesn't have 93. I want the extra 10 horsepower all the time!

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I typically run 87 octane 100% gasoline from a branded station. As far as detergents etc., it's all fairly similar as long as it's from a Top Tier station. Top Tier Gasoline. I drive mostly around town during the week and I figure the 10hp isn't a really big deal since the torque stays the same. Also, I don't see the point in switching back and forth between 87 and 91 etc. unless you're going to empty out the tank between fill ups.

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
every tank has been 93 or 91, whichever is the highest. when driving to florida, many of the southern states only had 91, otherwise here at home its 93. my MPG average right now sits at 13.7, never reset it since i got it.