best mods to keep truck running forever

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevGT40

Reaction score
Maintenance.

5k oil changes with synthetic oil. Spark plugs on the regular. Fluids. Bushings. Close to stock as possible. No forced induction. Etc...
Ditto.

Do not follow Ford service intervals. Those were made to get you through warranty and that's it. Change all fluids regularly. Check out Ford tech makuloco on youtube.

And since you have a steel body, look into wool wax for the frame and underside, and clean and fluid film the rockers.

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a lot of good information in this thread. I'll add a couple of things I've learned over the years, never rev a cold engine and don't drive hard on a cold transmission, maintanance is the key to longivity. A few lite mods are perfectly OK such as tune, CAI, and exhaust. If you drive like a maniac all the time you're going to break it.
No on the CAI. Stock airbox and paper filters are always better at filtration than any highflow stuff. If you want it to last- don't feed the engine more dirt than necessary.

My truck had a K&N in the stock airbox when I bought it. I threw that away and put a paper one in it's place.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No on the CAI. Stock airbox and paper filters are always better at filtration than any highflow stuff. If you want it to last- don't feed the engine more dirt than necessary.

My truck had a K&N in the stock airbox when I bought it. I threw that away and put a paper one in it's place.
Did it make a difference?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It did cut down on the low end throttle response, as expected. The engine has to breathe through a real filter in lieu of pasta sieve.

A good test for air filters is to simply hold it to the sun and look inside of it. You shouldn't be able to see sunlight through it- unlike a K&N, which looks like a starry night deep in the middle of nowwhere.

If you have to run a highflow filter, get the Amsoil one.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It did cut down on the low end throttle response, as expected. The engine has to breathe through a real filter in lieu of pasta sieve.

A good test for air filters is to simply hold it to the sun and look inside of it. You shouldn't be able to see sunlight through it- unlike a K&N, which looks like a starry night deep in the middle of nowwhere.

If you have to run a highflow filter, get the Amsoil one.
Ok. I haven't had any of those issues or observations.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If ain't broke don't fix it. I only know of few mishaps of a broken valve spring. And there are thousands of 6.2l engines made. I personally have 187k miles on mine and had zero issues. Now I'm praying I didn't jinx myself but anyways you get the point
I had 80k on my truck and one broke. It can happen at any time and if it does it can be curtains for the engine if the valve drops into the cylinder.
thats how my motor blew.

best mod to keep the truck forever is a 30x30 garage that has regulated temps

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maintenance.

5k oil changes with synthetic oil. Spark plugs on the regular. Fluids. Bushings. Close to stock as possible. No forced induction. Etc...
NO Forced Induction..?? WTH..I love when my Induction to be Forced...makes me Grin from ear to ear when the Whipple forces me to burn that sweet 92otc..
;)