anyone use the SDHQ frame support

is it worth it for cheap insurance for now

• YES

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • NO

Votes: 13 50.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am using them until I pull the trigger on a full bump stop kit. Not enough in all of Alberta to cause the damage to really require a full kit but I do want one for next years trips down south.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^ Leave us not forget harsh language. USMC swearwords should stop a crazed Muslim mob cold.

Look, that Ambassador to Egypt has demonstrated that she's part of the problem and lasks the heart, soul, and judgment to represent the United States of America. She might be qualified to serve as an animal control officer in the sewers of New York City, but she's certainly not ambassador material. She should be removed from her position in Chairo forthwith, and any American president with a spine and a ******** would have already done it.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
On topic, If you're thinking you need "insurance" for your frame at all, why not go with a beefier option like RPG's Stage 1? It's upgradeable later and it'll keep your frame rock solid. I'm in the camp that just doesn't see how that little bit of metal is going to keep your frame from tweaking if you're really pushing hard. If it can, I'd love to hear the how and the why though...

OP
OP
NickPic83

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On topic, If you're thinking you need "insurance" for your frame at all, why not go with a beefier option like RPG's Stage 1? It's upgradeable later and it'll keep your frame rock solid. I'm in the camp that just doesn't see how that little bit of metal is going to keep your frame from tweaking if you're really pushing hard. If it can, I'd love to hear the how and the why though...

Thanks for being ON topic lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
One thing you can do is to put some chalk on your bumpstop and run your trails and see if you're even touching your factory stops at all. That'll tell you right there if you need to worry about your frame.

If it's slow speed stuff, I don't think I'd worry much, but that test might help you make an informed decision.

These trucks will take a lot before they tweak, and it takes a lot to tweak them significantly. Of the people I've talked to who have tweaked their frame, I think it was all but one or two who knew exactly what bump it was that bent it. It takes a good hit to actually bend it.

Maybe just call SDHQ and talk with them about their kit and call RPG and talk with Jarrett about the Stage 1 and compare/contrast. Obviously they are on different levels as one is a $100 "fix" and the other is ~$700 and a full frame support, but it could still be helpful

Sierra13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm buying some for now too. It's cheap insurance for what I'll use the truck for. Don't plan on pushing it that hard and even if it helps a little bit w/e it's only $100...there's this great place that keeps giving me money every 2 weeks!! Haha

nate2631

Reaction score
I just installed the kit on my truck this week (Picked it up used from a member on the forum). I wanted to go with the stage one kit but the wife just wasn't having it. The way I look at it something is better then nothing and for what it is, the kit is well made and designed.

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

It would be interesting to know if anybody who has the kit installed has still managed to bend their frame. I have never seen anybody on the forum talk about doing that.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just installed the kit on my truck this week (Picked it up used from a member on the forum). I wanted to go with the stage one kit but the wife just wasn't having it. The way I look at it something is better then nothing and for what it is, the kit is well made and designed.

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

It would be interesting to know if anybody who has the kit installed has still managed to bend their frame. I have never seen anybody on the forum talk about doing that.

I have the kit. I only got it because of the price and extra peace of mind. Before I got the kit, I knew I'd never push this truck that hard anytime soon. It's almost her birthday and I have only been "off road" twice. I say off road in quotes because they were just gravel roads and the truck handled it real nice, even when I was hitting 60 mph on the rougher sections. I think that most folks that buy this kit are not going to push their trucks beyond what a stock truck can handle. This kit is just to give them a little more confidence in the truck.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

I found this on the Z,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach
Inquiring minds want to know – has anyone with the SDHQ kit installed, smacked the rear hard enough to see the real world result? I love the simplicity of this solution but being a mechanical engineer I have to believe there will be some interesting results from a true hit to the bump stops. Don’t get me wrong, I really like this design, just want a little more information on the effects of beefing up this section of frame. Thanks to anyone who has had the jewels to install this kit and then intentionally or unintentionally push their truck to its new limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHQ
We had sold/shipped and sold/installed tons of kits... We have had quite a few call from people who did not know their frame was bent a bit until installing our kit and we have had quite a few install here that have required a bit of frame loving... We have gone and romped plenty of miles in the desert with Raptors and no frame issues...

For guys that are want the next step up from our gussets would be our bump kit that we designed before the huge frame bending ordeals... http://www.superduty-hq.com/sdhqhydr...withmount.aspx

We have plenty of guys running this set up with hard, hard, hard miles on them and no issues!

nate2631

Reaction score
Prior to installing the kit, I had my truck out in the desert numerous times. I push the truck pretty hard and haven't bent the frame. It takes a hard hit at the right time to cause a bend. A friend of a friend has has used his raptor to prerun the Baja 1000 over the past three years. Never bent the frame until this year. He jumped over a small hill and was met by a 2x2 foot ditch. Front tires cleared but the rear tires caught the ditch throwing the rear end up in the air. This resulted in a bent frame.