Anyone tow with their Gen 3 yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorMan703

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I towed my 2022 Malibu 25lsv with my 2019 Raptor. The boat is on a triple and it did sag the rear, but if you go slow and don’t got far it’s tolerable. I just picked up a 2023 Raptor Saturday so I’ll report back on whether it’s any better when the temp hits 70 on a weekend!

And I towed a 1970 Malibu

IMG_3498.jpeg

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those interested Ford's website (https://www.ford.com/support/vehicle-dashboard) now has a Towing Calculator. Put in your VIN and it will tell you how much tongue weight and towing capacity you have.
I hit the link you attached, logged into my ford account but cannot find the calculator? After I used the search function, I got instructions on how to use the calculator, but it did not provide a link to the actual calculator. If you can tell me exactly where to find it, that would be wonderful!
I have never towed anything before, complete rookie! Google indicates that the the towing capacity is 8200 pounds….but the figure must be subtracted from the trailer weight and what ever the trailer is carrying along with the weight of passengers, dogs, luggage and…….wait for it…..the weight of the gasoline. The following is what I will have, if someone with more experience can tell me if my 2021 37 can handle it, I’d appreciate it!
occupants 310 lbs
dogs 200 lbs
smart cap 225 lbs
gun vault 300 lbs
trailer 1200 lbs
UTV 2900 lbs
msd items 500lbs
TOTAL WEIGHT 5700 pounds…..plus a full tank of gas.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hit the link you attached, logged into my ford account but cannot find the calculator? After I used the search function, I got instructions on how to use the calculator, but it did not provide a link to the actual calculator. If you can tell me exactly where to find it, that would be wonderful!
I have never towed anything before, complete rookie! Google indicates that the the towing capacity is 8200 pounds….but the figure must be subtracted from the trailer weight and what ever the trailer is carrying along with the weight of passengers, dogs, luggage and…….wait for it…..the weight of the gasoline. The following is what I will have, if someone with more experience can tell me if my 2021 37 can handle it, I’d appreciate it!
occupants 310 lbs
dogs 200 lbs
smart cap 225 lbs
gun vault 300 lbs
trailer 1200 lbs
UTV 2900 lbs
msd items 500lbs
TOTAL WEIGHT 5700 pounds…..plus a full tank of gas.
After you log in, scroll towards the bottom to "Quick Links". The calculator will be posted there.

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After you log in, scroll towards the bottom to "Quick Links". The calculator will be posted there.
Thank you, but I eventually found it. I’m sure it isn’t a news flash, but the Raptor is not meant to tow. Cracks me up, Ford’s website indicated payload capacity is 1400 pounds, the sticker on the door specified 1305. I did some tests today and discovered there is absolutely no way it can safely tow 8200 pounds. The tail started to sag at 2200 + 1100 in trailer weight. I paid 622 for a weight distribution hitch and it sagged at 2600 pounds. I loaded the trailer with Olympic plates. It is no surprise that manufacturers inflate tow ratings. Be that as it may, Ford will deny responsibility. YouTube has numerous people towing all kinds of stuff with the Raptor, don’t believe it, towing anything over 2200 pounds with a 1000 pound payload is not safe!

TomG

Reaction score
I tow a 10k boat short distances every weekend. It’s on a triple axle, so the tongue weight is not terrible. In tow mode it does great. Yes it sags, but not nearly as bad as my 2019 raptor. I wouldn’t put that setup on the interstate, but a few miles back and forth is fine.

dfw62

Reaction score
It is no surprise that manufacturers inflate tow ratings.
The tow ratings are not inflated just grossly misunderstood by many as one must include payload when determining what can be towed.

It should be noted when a max tow rating is quoted it is typically for a stripped down 2WD version of a truck as this is the version with the highest payload. This doesn't really apply to our Raptors, especially Gen 3, as they are all 4WD Short Bed Super Crews with the same drivetrain. Payloads will be within around 100# depending on options which do not vary a lot. Biggest difference is typically panoramic moon roof or not. A Gen 3 payload rating will worst case be in the 1150# range (based on my 801A with moonroof being 1214#). The 8200# tow rating assumes an 820# tongue weight (10% of trailer weight) and is also the max tongue weight with a WD hitch. Thus a Gen 3 Raptor with a 300# driver and no other cargo would have 850# of remaining payload (1150 - 300) for a trailer and can tow 8200# as the tongue weight would be 820#. In this example the Raptor is just under it's 1150# payload rating as 1150 - 300 - 820 = 30. However, this is not realistic as it is a very rare case to have the only cargo in the truck as the driver. When one uses a real world cargo weight such as 500#, this example Raptor now only has 650# (1150 - 500) pounds of payload available for a trailer. Assuming at least 10% is on the tongue that puts the maximum trailer at 6500# to stay within ratings (not exceed payload). The Ford online towing calculator that others have referenced does a great job with these calculations.

All that said in the real world one should be thinking along the lines of a Gen 3 Raptor as having around 5000# to 6000# of max trailer towing capacity to not exceed the payload rating. One should also expect that even when payload is not exceeded there will be significant squat as the rear suspension was designed to run fast off road and not to tow a trailer. The good news is that with a WD hitch and the Air Lift 1000 bags a Gen 3 Raptor is an awesome tow vehicle for a 5000# to 6000# trailer. I expect it would also do quite well with just the air bags but personally use both WD and bags.

Another item to keep in mind is the max tongue weight for a Gen 3 Raptor without a WD hitch is 500# which limits one to a 5000# trailer without WD assuming 10% is on the ball.

Attachments

• Raptor with camper.jpg
    Raptor with camper.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 28

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know a damn thing about towing, other than the vehicle should not sag. If it sags, it’s over weight…..PERIOD. As a former CHP Officer I sat thru many depositions that involved vehicles pulling trailers. Although I never was present during the award, I know from 30 years of experience that traffic cameras are everywhere and if the vehicle and trailer sagged, a monetary judgement was always awarded. The key word is ALWAYS! There are so called experts that testify during legal proceedings, I just testified to the aftermath. However I remember one incident where Ford pickup jackknifed and a Honda collided with it, which resulted in a child fatally. The driver of the Ford was sent to prison for vehicular manslaughter and he was not drunk. The expert, based on traffic cam video testified the trailer was overloaded. Yes a Raptor can tow and I wish both of mine could, but it is not meant to tow and many people smarter than me will testify to such. Can you get away with it, of course, but worth it to me!

McCarthy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know a damn thing about towing, other than the vehicle should not sag. If it sags, it’s over weight…..PERIOD. As a former CHP Officer I sat thru many depositions that involved vehicles pulling trailers.

Holy misinformation batman... Let's take a Raptor with an 8200lb towing capacity. The truck sags BADLY with a 3500lb trailer with a side by side on it. Less than half of legal rated towing capacity. WAY under payload. But if it sags it's over weight... LOL. Sure.

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy misinformation batman... Let's take a Raptor with an 8200lb towing capacity. The truck sags BADLY with a 3500lb trailer with a side by side on it. Less than half of legal rated towing capacity. WAY under payload. But if it sags it's over weight... LOL. Sure.
Gag Sukes Robin! There is nothing LEGAL about an 8200 pound towing capacity! There is a TON of case law placing the responsibility on the driver of a vehicle, not the manufacture. In addition, the towing capacity is MINUS the cargo…..which includes passengers, gasoline, oil, radiator fluid and so on. It is also minus an empty trailer weight. Although the Federal sticker on my 37 indicates a 1305 pound cargo capacity, the Ford website stipulates 1400 pounds. Two occupant, two dogs, 36 gallons of gas at six pounds per gallon, oil and other stuff, which includes luggage can easily put the cargo weight at easily 1000 pounds. Add the weight of a 14’ all aluminum trailer, which in my case is 1100 pounds. 8200 minus 2100 is 6100, which on the surface sounds great. Now factor a hitch safe tow weight of 10% of the trailer and load. Great Zukes Robin, do the math! If just the payload and trailer equal 2100 pounds, 10% of 2100 is 210 pounds. If a person is towing a 2500 pound UTV, add 250 pounds to the hitch weight. 210+250 is 460 in tongue weight, ……tongue weight is cargo weight. Now you are only towing a 2500 pound UTV on an 1100 pound trailer with a 8200 pound towing capacity, BUT the Raptor is overweight because it exceeds the cargo capacity. Yes a Raptor can tow it, but if you crash and hurt someone, you are ducked. The above was written after three Blanton’s.

McCarthy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gag Sukes Robin! There is nothing LEGAL about an 8200 pound towing capacity! There is a TON of case law placing the responsibility on the driver of a vehicle, not the manufacture. In addition, the towing capacity is MINUS the cargo…..which includes passengers, gasoline, oil, radiator fluid and so on. It is also minus an empty trailer weight. Although the Federal sticker on my 37 indicates a 1305 pound cargo capacity, the Ford website stipulates 1400 pounds. Two occupant, two dogs, 36 gallons of gas at six pounds per gallon, oil and other stuff, which includes luggage can easily put the cargo weight at easily 1000 pounds. Add the weight of a 14’ all aluminum trailer, which in my case is 1100 pounds. 8200 minus 2100 is 6100, which on the surface sounds great. Now factor a hitch safe tow weight of 10% of the trailer and load. Great Zukes Robin, do the math! If just the payload and trailer equal 2100 pounds, 10% of 2100 is 210 pounds. If a person is towing a 2500 pound UTV, add 250 pounds to the hitch weight. 210+250 is 460 in tongue weight, ……tongue weight is cargo weight. Now you are only towing a 2500 pound UTV on an 1100 pound trailer with a 8200 pound towing capacity, BUT the Raptor is overweight because it exceeds the cargo capacity. Yes a Raptor can tow it, but if you crash and hurt someone, you are ducked. The above was written after three Blanton’s.

How is the Raptor over weight? On the door sticker for legal payload is 1250ft lbs. As you said UTV weight is 2100lbs, and trailer is let's say even 1300lbs up from your 1100. 3400 total.

Raptor legal (unsafe) towing Capacity :8200lbs
Trailer Weight of above: 3400lbs.

10% tongue weight as you stated, 340lbs. Driver 250lbs. Cargo and misc (hitch and ball etc) weight, 250lbs, add an extra 100 in for fun, total payload 940 lbs. Call it 1000 even just to keep rounding up for safety!

So we are less than half rated towing capacity, and even rounding your numbers up by hundreds of pounds of payload, I am still 250lbs UNDER payload. On what planet is that illegal? Under by a huge margin in every single measure.

I've weighed my truck on a truck scale with trailer, all normal stuff I carry and a full tank of fuel in machine and truck (36 gallons in the truck...) @ a whopping 9670 lbs and GCWR is legally rated at 14,500lb... 4800lbs light of that measure as well...

EDIT: I just realized we're not even close to exceeding the last possible measure of safety, the Raptor has a maximum bumper pull weight WITHOUT a WDH of 5000lbs. We're 1600lbs shy of that one too.

Last edited: