Anyone drive in 4A and seems to hunt for traction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a great topic of discussion...

First my 4A comes right the hell out of 4A sometimes and back into 2 wheel. Secondly it does have that grabbing, strong wheel feeling.

*take my strong hand* lol.... I had to.

The same feeling that the road line keeping system has when its guiding the steering wheel sometimes. Running 38-37PSI all around.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the last few weeks there have been several threads on this topic, and it appears the new Raptors my have a different strategy/programing on how the front drive is applied in "4A"....Way too many guys talking about what they are feeling and seeing for all of them to "just be wrong"
So this is just a discussion as no one has read a single article from Ford discussing a change in the new trucks...

Yes, I agree that things have changed in how 4A is configured probably more than once. For my early 2017 SCREW with 802A Torsen front diff and Tech Pkg I swear the truck is front wheel drive biased in 4A. The Torque Steer is excessive at all speeds like someone said - Strong Arm excessive on dry pavement. Rear wheels transfer in on slippery conditions with a slight delay and a thunk. Front wheels will spin from a dead stop on wet road before rears kick in.

I get 0.5 better avg mpg in 4A too.

Aloha, HT

Last edited:

WraptorBoy

Reaction score

For me, when it rains out, I put it in 4A. The roads where I'm at are really slippery when wet.

In 2A, my rear wheels always slip in the rain. In 4A, they never slip in the rain.

When I put it in 4A, I immediately feel the "binding" of the system so I'm sure it's always in 4WD until the system deems it necessary to remove it from 4WD, for whatever reason.

Obviously when all the wheels are locked and synced together, if any one wheel forcibly stops, damage can occur and so the 4A system allows any given wheel(s) to slip, unlike 4H/L which are permanently locked.

The manual says you can leave it in 4A all the time.

In the end, how the system works doesn't matter. What matters is that when in one of the 4x modes, you ain't slippin'.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The Torque Steer is excessive at all speeds like someone said - Strong Arm excessive on dry pavement.

as is often mentioned on the M14 forum

Assume the front leaning rest position &

DO
MORE
PUSH UPS

When you think you have done enough, REPEAT.
As you are going about life and think to yourself “wow, the steering in my Raptor sure is heavy” - then you are not DOING ENOUGH PUSH UPS.

Not sayin’. Just sayin’.

:)

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as is often mentioned on the M14 forum

Assume the front leaning rest position &

DO
MORE
PUSH UPS

When you think you have done enough, REPEAT.
As you are going about life and think to yourself “wow, the steering in my Raptor sure is heavy” - then you are not DOING ENOUGH PUSH UPS.

Not sayin’. Just sayin’.

:)

Not too heavy in 4A for me. I like the better steering resoonse and how the wheel returns to center quickly. The Torque Steer is balanced, not pulling right or left. It pulls to center around turns. I think its great plus better gas mileage in 4A front bias.

I run it in 4A all the time now except when in Sport Mode which shifts truck back to 2H automatically.

Not complaining just sayin.....

:shrug: :beatdeadhorse5:

Aloha, HT

Beinkounter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happens to me all the time, especially when the front wheels are turned and 4A is on and when I accelerate, the steering wheel tends to naturally pull back to the neutral 12 o clock position as torque is sent to the front wheels. I think it's just physics.

Mike cip

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No front locking dif

No torque steer

JDM tune

no suspension mods

keep in it 4A most of the time

my daily is a Trackhawk, we have a 4x4 wrangler and have had several Audi’s with Quattro

My opinion it’s the front locking diff that gives the torque steering feel.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is no front locking diff in our trucks. It’s either an open diff or a Torsen diff if so optioned out.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not too heavy in 4A for me. I like the better steering resoonse and how the wheel returns to center quickly. The Torque Steer is balanced, not pulling right or left. It pulls to center around turns. I think its great plus better gas mileage in 4A front bias.

I've heard a few people say mention front bias on our trucks and it is just not possible. I know it feels like it sometimes when the rear is slipping hard but it's still a direct connection, not clutched in any way. The rear is directly connected thru the transfer case, not clutched. The front diff connects thru a viscous coupling so it can be varied, but not the rear. The only front bias we get is when the rear tires are on ice. :D:D