GEN 2 Anyone do e85?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LIRaptor

Reaction score
I have the tune file but have been leary to try it. Afraid of having a bad mixture and doing damage. I am going to install an ethanol content analyzer first so i can monitor ethanol level.

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might not feel a diffrence but keep an eye on your knock between the 2. I wonder if the motors happier on e50 than e30, I run the e50 and couldn't be happier except when flashing back to stock for dealer service!

both maps the knock is way down, way lower than it is when i put 91 gas map. it never gets near 5

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the tune file but have been leary to try it. Afraid of having a bad mixture and doing damage. I am going to install an ethanol content analyzer first so i can monitor ethanol level.

dont need to install anything, just do the right blend and you will be golden, i have a ethonal reader in the gtr so i know which pumps are higher in content but for the most part they are all pretty close to 85 like they should be. i first fill up 91 half a tank then roll over to the next pump and fill up the rest of it, unless of course im on the e30 then i have to do 22 gallons 91 and 11 e85, it doesnt matter if you fill up 1 or 2 gallons more of e85 than you supposed to i have done it to top off the tank several times and never had knock or any issues. while it fills up at the pump it mixes the gas up pretty good

LIRaptor

Reaction score
dont need to install anything, just do the right blend and you will be golden, i have a ethonal reader in the gtr so i know which pumps are higher in content but for the most part they are all pretty close to 85 like they should be. i first fill up 91 half a tank then roll over to the next pump and fill up the rest of it, unless of course im on the e30 then i have to do 22 gallons 91 and 11 e85, it doesnt matter if you fill up 1 or 2 gallons more of e85 than you supposed to i have done it to top off the tank several times and never had knock or any issues. while it fills up at the pump it mixes the gas up pretty good
Thanks for the input. My fear is getting a crappy batch of e85 that is more like e70 or whatever and having the mix be way off without knowing. That would be my main reason for running the analyzer, atleast ill see it and can take it easy and not blow a motor.

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. My fear is getting a crappy batch of e85 that is more like e70 or whatever and having the mix be way off without knowing. That would be my main reason for running the analyzer, atleast ill see it and can take it easy and not blow a motor.

in my experience of filling up tons of e85 ive never had it at e70 winter or summer it was always from 80 to 85 i have a flex kit on the gtr so i can see the ethonal content inside the car if i want to just press a button , but regular gasoline also can have up to 10 percent ethonal i read it all the time on the gas pumps. if you have the nguage you can monitor your data, if it will be knocking or other things so you can monitor it with the nguage to see how its running. ive only experience a knock to like 6 for a secont and it jumped back down, that was when i just filled up the truck and took off from the gas station and never did it again, i emailed them about it and they said that it was nothing to worry about, just the gas wasnt mixxed perfectly yet so its best to not floor it out of the gas station lol and give it a minute to mix while driving it normal.

LIRaptor

Reaction score
in my experience of filling up tons of e85 ive never had it at e70 winter or summer it was always from 80 to 85 i have a flex kit on the gtr so i can see the ethonal content inside the car if i want to just press a button , but regular gasoline also can have up to 10 percent ethonal i read it all the time on the gas pumps. if you have the nguage you can monitor your data, if it will be knocking or other things so you can monitor it with the nguage to see how its running. ive only experience a knock to like 6 for a secont and it jumped back down, that was when i just filled up the truck and took off from the gas station and never did it again, i emailed them about it and they said that it was nothing to worry about, just the gas wasnt mixxed perfectly yet so its best to not floor it out of the gas station lol and give it a minute to mix while driving it normal.
I am going to give it a go in a few weeks when the weather breaks. How is your fuel mileage? I am really not concerned about it just curious. I expect to get around 8 mpg or so lol

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to give it a go in a few weeks when the weather breaks. How is your fuel mileage? I am really not concerned about it just curious. I expect to get around 8 mpg or so lol

i have a heavy foot so im not the average joe when it comes to mpg lol. but i did also ask for a more linear map since the map they originally sent me was way to sensitive for my liking i did not need full boost on at qaurter throttle. i have 35s toyo mts, that didnt make it better either. i didnt really try to see the mpg, but i think im averaging 11 /12 all depends how you drive. but 2 or 3 mpg less for 50 percent e85 i think would be about right at least. with the 30 percent of course it would be better.