Any setup that can safely tow my 5500lb tractor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
My buddy has +2’s. He let me drive it and I can tell the rear end is stiffer. There’s a spot on a freeway near me where there are rolling bumps and his truck doesn’t handle it well. I want +2’s but I didn’t want to sacrifice the plush drive of the truck.

The valving on the rear stock shocks isn't the best. For the rear end to be happy, ya kind of have to match the carpet to the drapes. ( shocks that can be tuned to work well with the springs).

And in all reality, a truck that can haul can't do what a raptor can do, and is certainly far less comfortable on the daily. (The first drive in my super duty was kind of shocking to me. I couldn't believe how stiff the suspension was).

So I guess the other side of that same coin is, a raptor can't do what a truck that can haul can. Play the middle and it doe 'nothing really well. Go towards one end of the spectrum, and well you're further away from being able to do what the other truck can.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
disagree. enjoy your darwin award, just dont take me with you.

Just because you can, doesnt mean you should. I shudder to think what would happen if you tried to haul that tractor with a raptor from dateland to san diego. yikes.

Are you trying to say that towing up to the rating is not safe? I have no problems towing up to the rating on my truck and i’d do it knowing you were on the road because there’s nothing wrong with doing so.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Are you trying to say that towing up to the rating is not safe? I have no problems towing up to the rating on my truck and i’d do it knowing you were on the road because there’s nothing wrong with doing so.
No, I'm saying if you're pushing to the point that you'd be over the limit, and don't take the limitations of a stock truck seriously when towing, you're cruising for a bad day.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, I'm saying if you're pushing to the point that you'd be over the limit, and don't take the limitations of a stock truck seriously when towing, you're cruising for a bad day.

Those are towing limitations. I have no qualms towing upto the limits, if you do, it's on you to stay off the roads. No one is doing anything wrong.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Those are towing limitations. I have no qualms towing upto the limits, if you do, it's on you to stay off the roads. No one is doing anything wrong.

cool, I'll be right behind you towing 5K lbs with a subaru outback, you know, because subaru says I can.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
cool, I'll be right behind you towing 5K lbs with a subaru outback, you know, because subaru says I can.

You should make your services available to every car manufacturer out there so you can tell them what the real limits are. You have a stunning gift, to be able to look at a vehicle and issue a "zombie rating"

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
You should make your services available to every car manufacturer out there so you can tell them what the real limits are. You have a stunning gift, to be able to look at a vehicle and issue a "zombie rating"
:p
I'm ready whenever someone is willing to pay me for my services. If I'm good at anything, it is breaking stuff that " should be fine". I've spent more time in a gen2 and done more "things" in a gen2 than 95% of the people out there that own them. Things have broken that "shouldn't have" and things have survived that "should have broken". I've helped r&d parts, I've provided feedback to parts manufacturers so that they understood what failed and what they might want to consider that they didn't think about when designing things. It's a tad bit more than looking at a truck, licking my finger and formulating a strong opinion.

And in case you haven't noticed, I overbuild everything so I'm as confident as I can be that there won't be any failures or issues. ;)

My point is, which apparently everyone is missing, is that the closer you are to the "limit", the more likely you are to have a problem. If an individual chooses to operate a vehicle at it's published limit, and comprehends the risk involved, and still feels comfortable, go for it. It isn't my truck or my set of potential consequences. the closer to the limit that a part or system operates, the shorter time to a failure condition.

I'd rather spend the money to beef things up to be way more confident instead of accepting the risk as it sits. Choose your own adventure I guess. ( it also helps that I'm blessed to be in the position to spend the money. I realize that not everyone is. )

Merry Christmas and be safe out there!

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
:p
I'm ready whenever someone is willing to pay me for my services. If I'm good at anything, it is breaking stuff that " should be fine". I've spent more time in a gen2 and done more "things" in a gen2 than 95% of the people out there that own them. Things have broken that "shouldn't have" and things have survived that "should have broken". I've helped r&d parts, I've provided feedback to parts manufacturers so that they understood what failed and what they might want to consider that they didn't think about when designing things. It's a tad bit more than looking at a truck, licking my finger and formulating a strong opinion.

And in case you haven't noticed, I overbuild everything so I'm as confident as I can be that there won't be any failures or issues. ;)

My point is, which apparently everyone is missing, is that the closer you are to the "limit", the more likely you are to have a problem. If an individual chooses to operate a vehicle at it's published limit, and comprehends the risk involved, and still feels comfortable, go for it. It isn't my truck or my set of potential consequences. the closer to the limit that a part or system operates, the shorter time to a failure condition.

I'd rather spend the money to beef things up to be way more confident instead of accepting the risk as it sits. Choose your own adventure I guess. ( it also helps that I'm blessed to be in the position to spend the money. I realize that not everyone is. )

Merry Christmas and be safe out there!

And what everyone is saying that you're missing, is that the limits are their for a reason. You can safely two up to 8k lbs in a raptor. You seem to be ignoring the word safely and publishing your own baseless safety measures. There's nothing wrong with towing below 8K, and there's nothing wroth with towing 8K either.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
And what everyone is saying that you're missing, is that the limits are their for a reason. You can safely two up to 8k lbs in a raptor. You seem to be ignoring the word safely and publishing your own baseless safety measures. There's nothing wrong with towing below 8K, and there's nothing wroth with towing 8K either.

Ok, let me be crystal clear:

I tow heavy things a lot. I tow these heavy things for thousands of miles, at up to 80mph on a fairly regular basis.

The raptor, in it's stock form doesn't feel safe when towing 8000 lbs to ME. I don't think that the raptor is safe for someone without a lot of towing experience when hauling 8k lbs.

I wouldn't do it even semi-regularly. Your opinion may differ from mine, but it isn't going to change my opinion.

If you don't agree, I ain't mad at ya. Do your thing.

People ask for feedback and opinions. Y'all got both things from me .

We can all agree to disagree . There isn't going to be a "right" answer because everyone and every situation is different .

If I'm coming off as a ****, it isn't my intention. I'm expressing what I think and explaining why. Do you. Don't pay me any mind. Everyone gets to make their own choices.

Have a great rest of your holidays.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The raptor, in it's stock form doesn't feel safe when towing 8000 lbs to ME. I don't think that the raptor is safe for someone without a lot of towing experience when hauling 8k lbs.

Perception and experience do count for something...
There are people who feel it's fine towing right up to the max tow rating...and others who (myself included) have their own comfort level below max tow...

My last truck had a crazy 9,600 lb tow rating....no way in hell am I towing that 1/2 ton truck at max!....

My own towing max on just about any 1/2 ton truck would be about 7,000 lbs...So for me the Raptor would be fine.

All I can do is share my personal max towing comfort...