Any setup that can safely tow my 5500lb tractor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

esprits4s

Reaction score
So, I've been digging through forums trying to understand if I could put together a setup to tow a 5500lb tractor with my raptor. From what I've read, it's borderline at best, but I thought I'd check with some Raptor owners as I'm a bit new to towing heavier gear.

My tractor weighs about 5500 lbs. I haven't purchased a trailer yet. My question is whether it is feasible to tow this tractor, on a trailer, with my '17 raptor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

esprits4s

Reaction score
Thanks! Any recommendation for the type of trailer and weight distribution hitch? I was worried about the tongue weight as that seemed to potentially be the limiting factor. Would I need to change the rear springs?

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Which tractor and what will be mounted on it? FEL? Backhoe, etc.

There are several quality brands. If buying a new trailer my suggestion is to focus on quality and consider it a lifetime buy. I tow my Kubota in a quality Sure Trac trailer and I also have a Holmes trailer, both very good.

Etrailer.com is a great source for all hitches, and lots of knowledge there.

Good luck..

OP
OP
E

esprits4s

Reaction score
The tractor is a Holder C9.78H which weighs about 5300lbs with no attachments. The attachments I use weigh between 400 and 800 lbs, but I primarily want the trailer to move just the tractor for repair/restoration work, so I am OK if I can't transport the tractor fully loaded.

OP
OP
E

esprits4s

Reaction score
This isn't mine, stole the pic from the internet, but my tractor is this configuration.

304-1.jpg

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A new crew cab Raptor is rated at 8000lbs using a WD hitch, you'll need to be mindful of trailer weight to stay within that. Try the Sure Trac site and look at trailers that might work for you. Again, they are many high quality trailers, but that will give you an example of sizes, capacities, weights, and features. Good luck..

Something like a low angle skidsteer trailer might work.

OP
OP
E

esprits4s

Reaction score
Thank you! I was assuming 5500 for the tractor and 2500 for a trailer that can handle that kind of weight, which brings the total to the 8000 lb limit (yes mine is a supercrew). However, I hadn't found an actual trailer and wasn't sure about the weight at the tow hitch. Nor do I know if 2500 is a reasonable estimate for a trailer that can haul a 5500lb load.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your location may determine The brand of trailer you choose. Go to bestchoicetrailers.com. Look for Sure Trac and then
Equipment trailers. Lots of pics, descriptions, weights, etc. to get you started. A general rule is that you want 10% of the loaded trailer weight as tongue weight to prevent sway. A properly set up WD hitch will help with the tongue weight.