Any body elses raptor have special abilities?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leinad1904

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has this feature where sometimes after the engine is shut off there is an electric motor sound that runs until the battery dies. It's near the fuel tank so I assume it's the fuel pump? Anywho...it's happened twice in 7500 miles and I haven't taken it to the dealer yet because it doesn't happen every time so I think I know what they're going to say. "Can't recreate."

Snuggles

Reaction score
My truck has this feature where sometimes after the engine is shut off there is an electric motor sound that runs until the battery dies. It's near the fuel tank so I assume it's the fuel pump? Anywho...it's happened twice in 7500 miles and I haven't taken it to the dealer yet because it doesn't happen every time so I think I know what they're going to say. "Can't recreate."

That sounds like a sticky fuel pump relay. They can fail open or fail closed. You could easily get stranded with a pump that won't kick on if it is the relay failing. \

I haven't checked on these trucks, but you should be able to swap it with another, identical relay under the hood to test it. Or just buy a new one and hope for the best.

My old Ram wasn't that simple. I had to disconnect the battery when I parked. Eventually found it was a very common thing on those trucks, and this guy made an awesome bypass to fix it: https://verticalvisions.com/en/content/14-tipm-fuel-pump-relay-solutions

He doesn't list anything for Fords, but his page and youtube are still a good resource for troubleshooting this.

Last edited:

Snuggles

Reaction score
Right on! this looks right on the money with what's happening. Thanks! im gonna try to attack this on the weekend. Following all the bread crums was leading me to the pcv valve. I just found out that all of fords ecoboost engines does this and its not limited to the raptor. ‍♂️ time to get to get the hands dirty. Later I need to address the cranking noise at start up. Sounds like world War 3 under the hood when I start it up in the morning. Crank noise is crazy loud.
Like Tbogo said, that sounds like your cam phasers (assuming it goes away after 5-10 seconds).

The reason it makes noise and goes away is they need decent oil pressure to engage. Once your oil pressure rises, they are "quiet" but still possibly not functioning correctly.

The way to test this:
1) Starting from a cold engine (oil pressure needs to be low)
2) Press your foot on the gas and brake pedal and hold them down. The gas pedal should be all the way to the floor.
3) While continuing to hold them down, try to start the truck. It will crank, but not start. (NOTE: if you take your foot off the gas it will start normally, so you want to hit the button / turn the key off while keeping your foot on the pedal).
4) Do the no-start crank a couple of times for ~10-seconds each. This will build oil pressure without the engine running or heating up.
5) Then start as normal. If it doesn't make the rattling noise, it's likely a cam phaser issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
9th Island raptor

9th Island raptor

Reaction score
Update: ok just dropped truck off. Will update everyone ASAP as to what the Verdict. Nows the time to chime in and see who is the one with the right diagnosis. Leave your comments below.

Here is the list of issues I have been having with the truck.

-Truck has a very loud banging/rattle during cold start. Struggles to start.

- random stalling.

- truck constantly smell of gas.

- have to keep adding oil

- alot of thick smoke out of truck exhaust mainly drivers side. Happens consistently through out the day. It Happens daily.

- Yesterdays last drive before going under this morning. Miss her already. Screenshot_20221030-143843_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20221030-144137_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adding oil sounds like a head gasket

Does the oil fill cap have something that looks like chocolate pudding on the underside?

OP
OP
9th Island raptor

9th Island raptor

Reaction score
Adding oil sounds like a head gasket

Does the oil fill cap have something that looks like chocolate pudding on the underside?
Whats up ma braddah, i Just heard back from the dealer and at the moment I'm being told its the cam phasers. They are processing the paperwork for the warranty work now. I did ask them what could be causing the smoke and I was told that the long list of things that I gave them of things that is wrong from the smoke from exhaust to the engine stalling could all correlate and be caused from the cam phasers. So im gonna sit and wait to see what else they find. Ill keep updating as the time goes by. By the way if there is anyone out there at the moment that is dealing with a big issue like this and can't get there truck in to get it fixed rest assured i to ran into the same issue. What I did was I called and went straight to corporate in Michigan with my complaints. 80k dollar truck that can't idle is ludicrous. Paying for a warranty and only 6 months out from purchase and there telling me they can see me until February was not gonna fly with me. Leave reviews for your dealer on Google. Work your way up the chain and eventually it just might work. Did for me. Go gettem!

Last edited:

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats up ma braddah, i Just heard back from the dealer and at the moment I'm being told its the cam phasers. They are processing the paperwork for the warranty work now. I did ask them what could be causing the smoke and I was told that the long list of things that I gave them of things that is wrong from the smoke from exhaust to the engine stalling could all correlate and be caused from the cam phasers. So im gonna sit and wait to see what else they find. Ill keep updating as the time goes by. By the way if there is anyone out there at the moment that is dealing with a big issue like this and can't get there truck in to get it fixed rest assured i to ran into the same issue. What I did was I called and went straight to corporate in Michigan with my complaints. 80k dollar truck that can't idle is ludicrous. Paying for a warranty and only 6 months out from purchase and there telling me they can see me until February was not gonna fly with me. Leave reviews for your dealer on Google. Work your way up the chain and eventually it just might work. Did for me. Go gettem!
Glad you on the way to getting her fixed!