Another Should I Buy Thread...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PrepVet

Reaction score
Hi RaptorForum,

This is yet another should I buy a Raptor thread.

I am at an impasse about what to put in my garage. I am debating if I want to replace my 2012 Explorer XLT (very nicely equipped) with a Raptor. It would not be a new Raptor. My criteria is tight and limiting but I have found a few in the U.S. That I would make a trip to get. 2011+ 4door navi under 60k miles and around $40g. Tough but doable. I've found a few I really like right at the $40g mark.

The Expo is a fine car, but I just isn't me. It is my familytruckster so it has no need to be fun, but it is boring. Nothing truely wrong with it aside from some odd rust issues on the lift gate but it just, as I said is eh. But it is comfortable and great for getting the kids in and out and about in.

I currently also have a 2005 Power Wagon that I have further modified and used to go out to Moab fairly often but not at all any more I fear. I do use it around me in the mud and rocks however. It will not be sold, ever. I love it and it has some miles and trail rash but it is too big to drive daily and can be a pita to get the kids in and out with the height. But it is my truck and I love it. I additionally have an old JK 2door that I use as my DD and the toad behind the old class a gasser. It is a real bitch to get the car seats in and out of as well as the kids.

I really want a Raptor, I have for a while.

Background, I have always been more of a go fast car guy, until I really got into off roading in the Power Wagon. I sold off many Mustangs (I've had fox bodies, SN95s ans S197s) and even my cherished Terminator. I miss having a go fast car, painfully at times, but I'm not sure if I want to go back to that especially with the two little kids. But I am also seriously considering either a 2011+ Mustang GT or 2009+ Challanger R/T, but as I see it in words in front of me I think that is a poor life choice right now. Which brings me back to keeping the Expo and not spending any more money or getting a Raptor and taking on debt. I HATE DEBT.

I have been going back and forth both her end elsewhere on the intrawebs but I still can't ring myself to pull the trigger...

Last edited:

Tommysyko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you haven't, take one for a test drive.

It has cool factor for sure but the usability is good. Stock it handles nicely. Not boaty like most SUVs and not too stuff like a truck.

I use mine as a weekend get away every now and then for off road adventures but also as my mini van for the family.

Life's too short to drive boring vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A 4 door Raptor with a bed cover has hauled me and my family all over hell's half acre. In style. And very comfortably. And when you get to where you are going, you can turn right into the dirt and have a blast for a few days. Done beating on it? Load everyone up and return home. I've owned suburbans, expeditions, excursions, etc. and this is by far the best family vacation vehicle I have ever owned and by the far the funnest off road truck I've ridden in.

Buy one. Don't look back. Get a good inspection done and buy an extended warranty.

Zeke555

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pretty much need to go out and test drive a few trucks and big suvs, then last of all try out a Raptor. That should help make up your mind. I tried out a 14 F150 Lariat 4x4, brand new, loaded with everything except a tonneau cover. They we tried out a beat up and abused Raptor, 46,000km on it and it was beaten by the previous owner, filthy inside and outside, brakes needed to be replaced, had non-factory and worn tires, but the dealership put it out front as it was traded in the previous day. We took it out for a test drive anyway, and it was so much of a better ride, power and handling, we both said we need to find a one in better shape and buy it. Best way to appreciate them is to go and try one out. Even try to find a local owner who will take you out for a ride in one and you will see why we all love our Raptors!!