Another Dealership Screw Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m sure this goes without saying but be careful of who works on your truck. I always do my own oil changes/tire rotations because I like giving the truck a once over and don’t trust most dealerships.

Well… had the first oil change done at 2k miles at Galpin Ford so that it was on record and have done the next 2 myself. I drop the entire skid plate to access the filter and be able to look for any obvious problems.

Had the skid plate off this weekend and decided to clean it up and remove the oil filter access panel for the first time. No surprise that all 4 bolts were completely cross threaded and stripped!

Not the end of the world but disappointing that they screw up something so simple.

Attachments

• 71464C77-F5C4-4EED-8590-9D46F6D61921.jpeg
    71464C77-F5C4-4EED-8590-9D46F6D61921.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 90

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Our dealer also messed up and our truck leaked (not weep or seep) and they said it was "excess oil they forgot to clean". Yah right.
As an EX service advisor you'd be shocked by the amount of lies advisors, techs and dealers tell people to escape liability/responsibility. Part of the reason I didn't stay in the industry. So many lies and ********. I've told a few service managers F U to their faces in the past.

OP
OP
J

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make them replace and fix anything they did. Thats ********. Nobody cares or has attention to detail anymore.
I agree but it’s been 6 months since it was done and I just don’t feel like taking the time to go there. Funny thing is Galpin is a lot further than my local dealership but they are much bigger and seem to have a good reputation. Thought they’d have the resources to do it right.

They also replaced the moon roof glass seal. I figured something wouldn’t be right so I spent 5 minutes opening and closing it when I picked up the truck. Wasn’t surprised when a couple parts fell from it. They got a pass on that one since it was a pretty involved job, but oil changes should be easy to do right.

Oh well, picked up some new bolts and nut clips this morning. Just reinforces why I spend the effort to do the oil myself.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree but it’s been 6 months since it was done and I just don’t feel like taking the time to go there. Funny thing is Galpin is a lot further than my local dealership but they are much bigger and seem to have a good reputation. Thought they’d have the resources to do it right.

They also replaced the moon roof glass seal. I figured something wouldn’t be right so I spent 5 minutes opening and closing it when I picked up the truck. Wasn’t surprised when a couple parts fell from it. They got a pass on that one since it was a pretty involved job, but oil changes should be easy to do right.

Oh well, picked up some new bolts and nut clips this morning. Just reinforces why I spend the effort to do the oil myself.
i dont miss taking my SVTs to Simi Valley Ford... used to take them to Kemp for in Thousand Oaks 30 min outta my way

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m sure this goes without saying but be careful of who works on your truck. I always do my own oil changes/tire rotations because I like giving the truck a once over and don’t trust most dealerships.

Well… had the first oil change done at 2k miles at Galpin Ford so that it was on record and have done the next 2 myself. I drop the entire skid plate to access the filter and be able to look for any obvious problems.

Had the skid plate off this weekend and decided to clean it up and remove the oil filter access panel for the first time. No surprise that all 4 bolts were completely cross threaded and stripped!

Not the end of the world but disappointing that they screw up something so simple.
And that is why you don’t use an impact gun on small parts. Idiots just over torque everything as they don’t give a shit, as it isn’t theirs.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Do you have a part number or sizes to list? That bracket nut is def an issue. I've been pulling my skid to do the past 3 oil changes and I hit those bolts with some synthetic grease from my gun so that they came off nice and smooth. I loosen them with a ratchet, but then use an impact wrench after that for sure.

hyrepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a part number or sizes to list? That bracket nut is def an issue. I've been pulling my skid to do the past 3 oil changes and I hit those bolts with some synthetic grease from my gun so that they came off nice and smooth. I loosen them with a ratchet, but then use an impact wrench after that for sure.

Being they only need about 15-20 ft./lbs of torque, I wouldn’t use an impact.