Another 6.2 review!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dave (Falcon), Dave, Dave...

First, thanks for your very kind words. You're right - I am pretty much known as a "driving factor" in daily life - meaning I tend to drive people away - in droves :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I never meant to "dismiss" your post (and I'm sure you know that). My point is that tires are tires in that for most vehicles, most use, most drivers, they need to be good in all-around performance ESPECIALLY on road since that's where most everyone drives :) (seriously - not being facetious).

Furthermore I think it's pretty simple (well, I like trying to make things simple so I can understand the crux of an issue) - you want a tire that does everything well while being a mud tire. So your choices are all mud tires that fit the Raptor (which should limit the choices to a manageable list). And when you compare them on a site like Tire Rack you should see how the mud tires compare at braking, road noise, handling in the dry and in the rain/wet, etc.

I know you're a smart guy and you can manage a review of mud tire attributes to determine which tire will be the best for you.

RallyBud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now if only paddle shifters came stock....as mentioned in the article. I like being able to use throttle modulation as a tool and not have to worry that the tranny will do it for me.

OP
OP
Madcowranch

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Falcon

I have gone through a set of Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's and a set of BFG MT TA's in the last few years. My opinion: the Goodyears SUCK! Actually they're pretty good in the mud but they are notorious for having a weak sidewall...I blew out the sidewall on 3 of the 4 tires on my truck offroading over a period of a couple years. The BFG's totally rock- tough as nails, great self-cleaning lugs. But you'll have to put up with some highway roar.

I have actually put a set of all terrains on as of late that I really like...General Grabber AT2's...but not near the traction of the MT's. Hope this helps.

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked Tire Rack... they show 10 tires, the OE for the Raptor shows the disclaimer "Not for severe snow" and there is no mud rating that I could find. Changing the search criteria for "Max off-road traction" yeilded... are ya ready? Zero hits. <GG> The search goes on... thanks for the effort!

Falcon again

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FYI: I did a search on Tire Rack using "Mud Terrain Tire 315/70-17" and here's the results (below). You could also call Tire Rack or Discount Tire, etc. and get input from a person:

Dunlop Rover M/T Maxx Traction 315/70-17 D Tire
Dunlop Rover M/T Maxx Traction 315/70-17 D Tire

$201.00

Related Searches: Dunlop Rover M T Maxx Traction | 315 70 17 | Dunlop Rover Mt
Kumho Ecsta XS 315/30-18 Tire
The Ecsta XS (eXtreme Street) is Kumho’s Extreme Performance Summer tire developed for passionate driving enthusiasts looking to make the most of their vehicle’s capabilities in competition, at the track or on the street. The Ecsta XS is designed to deliver Kumho's ultimate level of dryroad…

$304.00

Related Searches: Kumho | Kumho Ecsta Xs | Kumho Xs
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 315/30-18 Tire
The Pilot Sport PS2 is a Max Performance Summer tire member of the Michelin Pilot family of low profile, high-speed tires. Initially developed for Original Equipment (O.E.) on some of the world's most prestigious sports cars and performance sedans, the Pilot Sport PS2 combines world-class dry road…

$444.00

Related Searches: Low Profile Tires 18 | Ps2
Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 315/70-17 D Tire
Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 315/70-17 D Tire

$241.00

Related Searches: 315 70 17 | Duratrac | Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 315/75-16 D Tire
The BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 (KMfor Key feature: Mud traction and 2 identifying it as BFGoodrich's 2nd generation KM tire) is an Off-Road Maximum Traction tire developed for off-roaders driving full-sized, lifted trucks that participate in rock climbing and/or other challenging off-road…

$266.00

Related Searches: 315 75 16 | Mud Terrain Tires | Mud Tires
Sumitomo HTR Z 315/35-17 Tire
A confident performer on wet and dry surfaces, the Sumitomo HTRZ takes the stresses and the loads of race track speeds in stride. Like all summer tires, the HTR Z is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice. The offset "V" directional tread pattern efficiently…

$115.00

Related Searches: 315 35 17 | Sumitomo 315 35 17 | 315 35-17
Kumho Road Venture AT KL78 315/70-17 D Tire
Kumho Road Venture AT KL78 315/70-17 D Tire

$167.00

Related Searches: 315 70 17 | Kumho Kl78 | Kumho 315
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO 315/75-16 D Tire
The All-Terrain T/A KO ("KO" for Key benefit On- and Off-road) is BFGoodrich's On-/Off-Road All-Terrain light truck tire developed to meet the needs of pickup truck and sport utility vehicle drivers who want confidence and control on and off the road. The All-Terrain T/A KO was designed to deliver…

$209.00

Related Searches: 315 75 16 | Bfgoodrich All Terrain | Bfgoodrich All-terrain T A Ko
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO 315/70-17 D Tire
The All-Terrain T/A KO ("KO" for Key benefit On- and Off-road) is BFGoodrich's On-/Off-Road All-Terrain light truck tire developed to meet the needs of pickup truck and sport utility vehicle drivers who want confidence and control on and off the road. The All-Terrain T/A KO was designed to deliver…

$232.00

Related Searches: 315 70 17
Kumho Ecsta XS 315/35-17 Tire
The Ecsta XS (eXtreme Street) is Kumho’s Extreme Performance Summer tire developed for passionate driving enthusiasts looking to make the most of their vehicle’s capabilities in competition, at the track or on the street. The Ecsta XS is designed to deliver Kumho's ultimate level of dryroad…

$204.00

Related Searches: 315 35 17 | 315 35-17 | Kumho Xs
Continental ExtremeContact DWS 315/35-20 XL Tire
Continental ExtremeContact DWS 315/35-20 XL Tire

$231.00

Related Searches: 315 35 20
Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 315/75-16 E Tire
Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 315/75-16 E Tire

$216.00

Related Searches: 315 75 16 | Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac E | Wrangler Duratrac

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate all the info fellas. I am getting smarter by the second!

Dan, I thank you for your kind words, as suggested, I have been researching tires on the internet. Thanks for your belief in my basic intelligence that I could do it! You are the wind beneath my wings buddy... <G>.

Tell me, have you ever heard of "Hankook" tires Dan? The name sounds kinda fruity, but I think they look outstanding! I would like to try on a set of four to see if I like them <G>.

View attachment 411

Falcon (Dave)
<GGG>

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, you are obviously a better searcher than I am. Maybe I got a little distracted by the Hankook girls <G>. Thanks! It will take me a while to absorb that NFO.

Falcon

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have to agree with Falcon.

I'm not really sure why Ford made statements about making the BFG's "work better in the mud"... if they improved the AT's mud performance by whatever changes they made I'd be surprised. The AT's are not mud tires and their performance is dismal when you get into the thick clay type mud. They pack up and it really is like driving on ice.

That said, I do understand the choice Ford made. They do have to worry about things like noise and ride quality. I had a neighbor a few years ago that "lemon lawed" their new car because of a minor brake squeak. Can you imagine the hassles from "Joe Consumer" if they thought the new tires on their new truck were too noisy? Or if, as mud tires seem prone to do, the tires started wearing unevenly?

Someone like Falcon... or the enthusiasts on these forums... could choose a mud tire option and understand the compromises. But I wouldn't say the same for the general public.

Some dealers... and some tire dealers... are very understanding. I've had friends buy new trucks and get pretty much full credit for the stock tires in exchange for having the tires they want installed at the time of purchase... this made for a very cheap upgrade to what they wanted. That's the route I'd try if the stock tires weren't what I needed where I lived.

Opinions and experiences do vary... for example, I had great luck with my Goodyear MT/R's and in fact some sources report of one of the strongest sidewalls available... but madcow has the opposite experience.

I hope someone from Ford who might have mud tire data for the Raptor will PM you or something... but with all the silly "politics" and legal issues these days I doubt they'd be allowed to...