Alright, talk me into it…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CMSearle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a 2011 Gen 1 SCAB and now have a Leadfoot 2018 802A SCREW that I got for an absolute steal at invoice. No upgrades aside from Method Roosts, pedal commander and tonneau cover. Out of warranty at 46k miles. Cam phasers replaced, 21B10 done a week ago. Love the truck but at the point of needing shocks rebuilt/upgraded. She’s a pavement princess and daily driver.

I really have no reason to upgrade as I love my current truck and it’s beyond adequate for my needs but don’t want to miss out on maximizing the current value of my truck, I do love the idea of that 5 link rear suspension and I have two dealers willing to do MSRP - one has a 35 and one has a 37.

Mine will be paid off in 2 years, Raptor R is out of my price range but I do wonder if there will be a powerboost option in a few years that would pique my interest.

What do I do? Tune and upgrade suspension of mine or make the jump to the Gen 3?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had a 2011 Gen 1 SCAB and now have a Leadfoot 2018 802A SCREW that I got for an absolute steal at invoice. No upgrades aside from Method Roosts, pedal commander and tonneau cover. Out of warranty at 46k miles. Cam phasers replaced, 21B10 done a week ago. Love the truck but at the point of needing shocks rebuilt/upgraded. She’s a pavement princess and daily driver.

I really have no reason to upgrade as I love my current truck and it’s beyond adequate for my needs but don’t want to miss out on maximizing the current value of my truck, I do love the idea of that 5 link rear suspension and I have two dealers willing to do MSRP - one has a 35 and one has a 37.

Mine will be paid off in 2 years, Raptor R is out of my price range but I do wonder if there will be a powerboost option in a few years that would pique my interest.

What do I do? Tune and upgrade suspension of mine or make the jump to the Gen 3?
Jump into a Gen 3 would be my choice, the Raptor R will get built but it's going to stand for Recharge not Race anymore, it will be electric.

KevoUsmc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's not a plan. THIS is a plan. Sell the Raptor. Buy a used Prius. Put the cash you pull out into crypto. In two years, buy a Ford dealership with it and get whatever you want at cost.
Solid plan, I might try to re-sell my Raptor once it gets here for 30k over and start crypto mining. Then buy TRex and launch it off a bridge because I'm so rich

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point in time, the value for trading in most vehicles is still higher than normal due to inflation. That may work in your favor to get you into a Gen 3. This won‘t last. However if you like your Gen 2 and don’t mind rebuilding the shocks and then keep your truck.

cphillips2

Reaction score
The issue now is when you would you get your Raptor. I placed an order in October and it is looking like I won’t get mine until June of next year. The question is if you place an order now what will the used market be when it comes in?

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I am in the exact same boat, but with my 2014 Gen 1. Shocks are wearing, truck is near paid off (bought in 2017), and at nearly 80k miles. Have a dealer willing to do MSRP on a 37 edition...but who knows when it would show up
The issue now is when you would you get your Raptor. I placed an order in October and it is looking like I won’t get mine until June of next year. The question is if you place an order now what will the used market be when it comes in?

thats the concern I have. You get a decent trade value now, but if the market changes, and the truck doesn't show up until next Fall, it could be a rude awakening of trade value change.