AIRRAID Installation on 2011 6.2L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Okay, if these numbers are correct, it looks like about a 20 to 22% change in gas mileage. 12.8 to around 15.2 / 15.5

If that is the case than this system will completely pay for itself with 14 tanks of gas at the current 3.95 a gallon!

I'm putting in about 4 tanks a month, so in less than 4 months the money to buy this is covered.

SOLD! :hitit:

I installed the Airaid CAD in Jan. and these are the numbers that I have been getting.:peace:

Last edited:

nold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this mod will not void our warranty? This is really good...

Thanks,

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First photo is of new air hose protruding between radiator and headlight housing (rubber shield pulled aside so you can see). Second photo is of new air hose peeking into the airbox.

Not terribly sophisticated looking, but very functional. Yes, that's duct tape. There are vents in the AIRAID airbox extension that allow air in from the engine compartment. I've blocked them with duct tape so that the engine breathes as much as possible through the factory snorkel and the new air hose.

I don't think your hose is big enuf try it some time get a few different sizes of straws and try breathing threw them the bigger the straw the easier it is to breath or the more straws my son has some allergies and if he has a reaction the doc said its like trying to breath threw a straw so what I'm saying is worm air is better than no air make a bigger straw or more and tell me what the gas mileage dose than

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There has been no change in gas mileage - no difference between the factory setup, the AIRAID as-is, or my modified AIRAID. I got between 15.2 and 15.5 in town with the factory intake, and get the same with the AIRAID. Any aftermarket CAI source that attempts to sell you a CAI by making fuel economy claims is lying to get your money out of your wallet. At normal throttle openings the factory intake represents no impediment to fuel economy. With the EPA breathing down their necks, you don't think that Ford would make a stupid mistake like that, do you?

If you do a little measuring, you will discover that the inside diameter of the factory intake snorkle is larger than the inside diameter of the main intake tube at the airflow sensor. That means that the snorkle will flow more air than the tube! The reason I added the extra intake hose was to insure that a minimum of air drawn into the filter is hot air from inside the engine compartment, not because I thought that the engine might not get enough intake air. That would be impossible given the dimensions of the intake tube and the intake snorkle, and the open top of the AIRAID CAI. You might also note that I tried a larger tube and found that it would not physically fit.

So why do it? Why spend the money? Answer: Throttle response and top end performance. All of the F-150s breathe through the same intake components (with one or two minor changes for the EB engine). This is fine and dandy for normal throttle openings when the big 6.2L isn't trying to gulp air from three states. But when you floor it to pass another vehicle on the Interstate or to blow through a sand wash, I am convinced that peak performance suffers because our big, high performance V-8s are trying to breathe through the same components as the 3.7L V6. With the factory intake my Raptor had a pronounced hesitation to abrupt throttle changes. With the AIRAID CAI that problem is gone.

Last edited:

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
thanks for clearing that up I thought you plugged the top and tried to make it all go threw the one opening

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd put a lid on it if I could. Given that the most restrictive intake component is the intake tube, the flow rate wouldn't change a bit.

tacomafj-80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put the Airaid on and MPG went from 13.6 to 15.2. I went with the dry filter and the pre filter. Truck sounds great when playing around, but its still quiet if driving the truck normal. Cant wait for the lid option from 5 Star.