AIRRAID Installation on 2011 6.2L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to take a photo of the prefilter and upload it here. There's a reason that the fabric they use for these prefilters isn't used for clothing - it'd get you arrested because you can see right through it. (It's just the thing for a woman's nightgown, in my humble and testosterone-influenced opinion.) There's no way it represents a restriction. AIRAID wouldn't use it if it did, and certainly wouldn't misrepresent the product.

Attachments

• Raptor.jpg
    Raptor.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Optimist and perfectionist that I am, I'm unable to leave well enough alone. I've found some stuff at Auto Zone that is used to protect components under the hood from high temperatures. It's not nearly as expensive as exhaust wrap and is not intended for use on exhaust systems, but it's similar. I'm going to use it to wrap the tube from the filter airbox to the throttle body airbox. I'm going to be driving through the hottest temps in ten years over the next two days, and I'm thinking that this might keep the intake air cooler and denser.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Try this: The next time you get out of the truck after driving it, pop the hood and put your hand on the intake hose. It'll be more than merely warm, I guarantee it. Here's a $20 mod that addresses that:

Attachments

• Thermo-Shield.jpg
    Thermo-Shield.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

408RCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a good idea for the intake tube wrap ruger! :waytogo: Prefilter looks good too, im deff gunna have to go the same route you did intake wise, thanks for the ideas and a great write-up :peace:

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just looked at the part number on my intake and I have the SynthaFlow (oiled) filter.

Viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ruger...

Nice idea... Might have to consider it. Definately so if I still lived in KY... We just don't get that kind of heat up here. People start dying if it hits 90 degrees round here...

Viper

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"Your mileage may vary."

Mine certainly has! On my drive out to Colorado it ranged from 14.5 to 17. The worst mileages was during the heat of the day. I saw temps of 107, and the truck was working hard in that heat.

Attachments

• HPIM0069[1].jpg
    HPIM0069[1].jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 126
OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Performance in Colorado has been eye-opening for me. The Raptor is absolutely unperterbable.

First photo is rather typical road picture. Altitude is no problem for the 6.2L. It'll pull itself up anything and get good mpg in the process.

Second photo requires some story telling. My daughter and I are here to climb mountains and decided to scout the Jeep trail that leads to several of the trailheads before the actual climb. So we decided to take the trail over Cinnamon Pass (12,640 feet in altitude) and down into Silverton on the other side. As we were on the ascent we passed an older gentleman and his wife in a Jeep who told us of a motorcyclist up above who had broken down and was looking for a lift.

We encountered this unfortunate gentlemen at roughly 12,400 feet - just short of the pass. He was on a big Honda XL650 dirt bike and had clipped a rock with his clutch cover. The result was a cracked clutch cover, a broken clutch, and no oil in the engine. It was about the most remote place in the world to be stranded. His body language was absolutely priceless as we drove up to him on the trail. He had his head cocked to the side, a smile and an expectant look on his face, and he actually rubbed his hands together in glee. Would we be willing to load up his bike and take him to Silverton? Hell yes.

This trail was just about everthing: cliffs with 300 foot drops, holes, rocks, steep. It would have been a bitch to climb on foot, but the Raptor was unimpressed with the whole notion of challenging terrain. It pulled everything with utter impunity. We drove Dave up, over, and into Silverton where he and his buddy Tony bought us locally distilled rum and pizza for lunch. It was late in the day, I didn't want to do that same Jeep trail in the opposite direction in an afternoon thunderstorm, so I decided to take the road route back to where we're staying. As luck would have it (Dave is evidently more than merely lucky) Dave lives in Durango, and the shortest road route back home to where we're staying is through Durango. So we rescued Dave at 12,400 feet deep in the remote Rockies and drove him and his motorcycle home to his front door. Dave described it as the "best case scenaro," and was mightily impressed with what the Raptor could do and how well it could do it. I was glad to make a new friend, and need a bumper sticker for my truck that says "OFFICIAL HONDA RECOVERY VEHICLE."

The photo is of Dave and his Honda in the back of my truck at the top of Cinnamon Pass at 12,640 feet talking with his buddy Tony on the ground.

Attachments

• HPIM0071[2].jpg
    HPIM0071[2].jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 99
  • HPIM0073[1].jpg
    HPIM0073[1].jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It ****** me off so much that the damn dealer scratched the plastic cover to my guages when they dealer prepped it. I wish I would have seen it and made them replace it but I saw it after like, 1,600 miles. :(

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Opps. Here's the photo of Dave and Tony that I intended to upload.

Attachments

• HPIM0075[2].jpg
    HPIM0075[2].jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 164