Air oil separator instead of a catch can?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlow

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with air oil separators? I know AOS systems are very popular with the WRX guys. Does anyone make such a thing for the 3.5l EB?

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with air oil separators? I know AOS systems are very popular with the WRX guys. Does anyone make such a thing for the 3.5l EB?

I am sitting waiting for real evidence in the way of pictures of the valves at 50k miles.

Only then if a real problem exists will i consider a add on unit.

My guess is a spray can of cleaner every 10k miles is also a solution, other turbo cars use that method. Way way less expensive over the 200,000 miles I will run my truck.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I'm running one, but not because i'm worried about oil "damaging" the engine. ANY oil that ends up in the combustion chamber lowers the effective octane of gasoline. When you're tuned for 93 and heading to mexico, any octane advantage that can be created ( i.e. doing everything possible to keep oil out of where it shouldn't be) is a smart one.

Driving it daily, scooting around town, not so necessary. ( especially if you are not attempting to turn up the wick on your motor)

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a Moroso air/oil separator with catch can on my 6.2L GEN1.
It is very effective and well designed.
I checked the Moroso site for you to see if they have one for the 3.5L EB.
Not yet.

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sitting waiting for real evidence in the way of pictures of the valves at 50k miles.

My guess is a spray can of cleaner every 10k miles is also a solution, other turbo cars use that method. Way way less expensive over the 200,000 miles I will run my truck.

You won't see any valve coking like the first gen ecoboost. The dual setup actually washes the valves fine. The oil separator does functionality work effectively at keeping oil out of the intercooler though.

Nick@GotExhaust

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Our customers have really like the UPR catch cans we sell. They work very well and look great in the engine bay. Message me for pricing

" The Ultimate Oil Separator for your 2017 to present Ford F150 or Raptor 3.5 Ecoboost Truck. The UPR Plug N Play Dual Valve Catch Can with UPR Pro-Series Check Valves one way electronic pressure sensor system. You can be sure that no other manufacturer can give you the level of quality and performance that UPR Plug N Play Dual Valve Catch Can with UPR Pro-Series Check Valves consistently deliver. Offering the largest capacity in a compact design to be sure that it will eliminate oil vapors on vehicles that are normally aspirated or power added equipped.

This system is designed to require less maintenance between oil changes and eliminate the amount of moisture that's collected from controlling condensation better by being mounted in the engine bay. Our Patented Multi-Stage Multi-Chamber internal design is the best for controlling oil vapor and mist even in the hottest mounting locations.

In turn, our new design was developed to work the best in the engine bay without any second guessing of its true performance capabilities. Does require drilling of your factory inlet for the WOT connection. You can also purchase a predrilled on thru us.

Most importantly this system keeps your PCV system performing with the level of protection and performance it deserves by not filling the intake and CAC / Inter-cooler full of oil like the factory designed system does.

Manufactured from Domestic T-6 6061 Aluminum bar stock and finished off using only the best Diamond cutters to exceed your expectations of what a superior product should fit and look like.

UPR is the largest aftermarket catch can manufacturer in the country. Continually improving our designs to stay ahead of the competition and give you the cutting edge technology of tomorrow today. We are so confident we offer an unconditional warranty on our products to let you know you can always count on UPRproducts."

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I am pretty much in agreement. In theory...i understand why it is said direct injection needs a catch can. But if it were that big of a problem, designers from ford, audi, vw, or any other direct injected set up would have included one if it solved the problem.

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty much in agreement. In theory...i understand why it is said direct injection needs a catch can. But if it were that big of a problem, designers from ford, audi, vw, or any other direct injected set up would have included one if it solved the problem.

This is primarily to keep oil from accumulating in the intercooler. It is not meant for anything related to the valves on the gen 2 3.5 ecoboost.