Air oil separator instead of a catch can?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@GotExhaust

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
On early years of the EcoBoost for non-Raptors a catch can was almost a must. They were getting so much build up in the CAC that it would gulp it under WOT and the truck would throw a misfire code. Ford has it figured out but with any forced induction engine you WILL have a certain amount of blow by. My gen 1 Raptor with the 6.2 had a CC and it showed its benefits.

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On early years of the EcoBoost for non-Raptors a catch can was almost a must. They were getting so much build up in the CAC that it would gulp it under WOT and the truck would throw a misfire code. Ford has it figured out but with any forced induction engine you WILL have a certain amount of blow by. My gen 1 Raptor with the 6.2 had a CC and it showed its benefits.

Partially correct. The catch can on previous ecoboost was to help keep the back side of the valves clean since the engine was purely DI.
The misfire on the previous ecoboost was due to moisture buildup in normal driving conditions. Once the truck went into boost, the liquid water (could have been milky oil/water too) was passed through and blew out spark. The thicker oil can also have the same effect.

Nick@GotExhaust

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Partially correct. The catch can on previous ecoboost was to help keep the back side of the valves clean since the engine was purely DI.
The misfire on the previous ecoboost was due to moisture buildup in normal driving conditions. Once the truck went into boost, the liquid water (could have been milky oil/water too) was passed through and blew out spark. The thicker oil can also have the same effect.

The build up i was talking about was a mixture of oil and condensation. I have cleaned them out and seen for myself what was in there. a Catch can helped keep that out of there. I also owned one and had a CC on it.

Rustler

Reaction score
I don't want to speak for OP, but I thought he was asking about whether anyone makes an Air Oil Separator (AOS) for the Gen2 3.5L, as opposed to the Oil Catch Cans that are often discussed here?

My understanding of the difference is that the catch can actually holds the liquid results of the blow by in a can that must be periodically drained, whereas an AOS will separate the oil from the air that is returned to intake, but return that oil back to the crank case. The advantage to the AOS being less maintenance (doesn't need to be drained) and less issue in cold temps while still preventing oil from coating the intake side, but the disadvantage is that it doesn't remove any contaminants from blow by that might be returned to the crankcase with an AOS.

I have another twin turbocharged car that was designed with an AOS from the factory, and there is no additional maintenance. It might, however, involve more engineering that can't be retrofitted?

Edit: AOS will eventually fail, so "no additional maintenance" isn't really true, it's more, much less maintenance.

Derail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It coats the inside of the intercooler, makes it less effective, and can also buildup enough to blow out spark under heavy boost.

The PCV connects directly to the intake through a hose that is approximately 8 to 10 inches long. How does that let the oil and vapor, get back upstream to the intercooler? This connection is inches away from the top of cylinders directly in the intake. And there is only 1 sensor in this path as well, toward the rear of the intake.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The PCV connects directly to the intake through a hose that is approximately 8 to 10 inches long. How does that let the oil and vapor, get back upstream to the intercooler? This connection is inches away from the top of cylinders directly in the intake. And there is only 1 sensor in this path as well, toward the rear of the intake.

Hmmm, is this a legitimate question or is it another edition of "S'squatch"?

I'm sure anyone who's a high performance engine enthusiast understands how a PCV system works, but maybe not...

Derail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PCV is connected to the intake manifold after the intercooler. Not sure how the oil from the PCV would get in the intercooler.

Last edited: