Aftermarket SD Card for Navigation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased the Off-road Mapping Software, on an SD card used in aftermarket gps / navigation systems, and assumed the new SD card would work in my navigation SD card slot. To my surprise it did not work.

The new SD card I bought was the mini and came with the normal SD card size adapter.

Will our OEM navigation units read aftermarket SD cards? Or is the adapter the problem? The reason I question the SD card adapter is because my computer won't read the card either...

OP
OP
JDUB

JDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What mapping software? The issue most likely is not the actual card, but unrecognized format and system language.

I am not sure whose software it is, but below is the link where I purchase it from:

Off Road Warehouse - GPS & Radios Maps & Accessories Southwest U.S. Maps for Lowrance GPS

Oh yeah, and when the truck finally recognized the card an error message popped up and said something to the effect of "can't read card due to copyrights."

Do you know the proper format or type of system (card) that will work? These offroad software maps with TOPO function will tremendously help my work. I don't really want to purchase an aftermarket GPS system and personally I haven't seen any aftermarket mounting system I like.

I returned the card this morning and the guys at ORW are looking into it. They said they are going to call the manufacture as well as PCI and Lowerance to determine a solution.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure Lowrance has the card write protected by software not the slide lock and can only be used in the lowrance system is was designed for.

Just like the Navteq SD cards for our OEM GPS. You can not use the SD Card in any other Ford vehicle. (example Escape to Raptor)

Last edited:
OP
OP
JDUB

JDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Affraid that was the case. Sucks, but only makes sense because of all the proprietary stuff.

Thanks all!