Add a sub problem

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Audio/Video/Electronics Forum [GEN 2]' started by sherwood, May 3, 2018.

1. Flatfuse

Flatfuse Member

I wasnt really happy with the sound in the stock plastic bass box. I tried porting the box, dyanamap, rewiring with heavy gauge wire. I used the LC2+ for power switching and a class D bass amp. Still wasnt happy. I ended up adding another pioneer 10” Sub ($125) under the seat connected by a 1/4 phone plug so i can easly move it in or out. Wired both speakers at 4 ohms. Used the LC2+ mains-not the sub out. Wow...really happy now.

Attached Files:

2. Raptized

Raptized Full Access Member

Post a link to your sub. I thought the shallow mount Pioneer 8's were free air subs?

3. sherwood

sherwood Member

I might have to do that too at some point! Looks like you also used pioneer sub in original enclosure? Did you get distortion with speaker even at low levels? I know it’s just a single 8” sub so I’m not expecting much but at the moment, it sounds horrible with distortion and original set up was better at this point. Is that a 2018 B&O setup?

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  4. sherwood

sherwood Member

It’s the pioneer TS-SW2002D2. Pioneer website http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POCEN/Car/Subwoofers/Shallow-Mount/TS-SW2002D2
    says free air or sealed. Box that speaker came in also has demensions for sealed, ported, and bandpass enclosures.

Attached Files:

5. Raptized

What is the cu ft of the box you are mounting it in? Or if you don't know that what are the dimensions?

And your sub may need tuned to your specific box... https://www.crutchfield.com/S-qiw07kX20tm/learn/car/subwoofers/tuning.html

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  6. sherwood

sherwood Member

I’m mounting it in the original enclosure that came with the 2018 B&O so I don’t know dimensions because it’s not exactly a rectangle/square shape and goes around bolts, mounts, and crazy angles.
    The speaker distorts at lowest sensitivity and lowest settings so I can’t really “tune it” when I’m already bottomed out. Really frustrating.

7. Raptized

describe the sound it is making...

Is it rattling or just not tight bass?

What amp are you using?

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

wiring diagrams

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f266/2018-sound-system-upgrade-59404/

8. Flatfuse

Flatfuse Member

@sherwood, im afraid you may have toasted one or both of the voicecoils. I did the same thing turning up the amp. The distortion from a bad coil is much more apparent when its in the box. Did you notice any electrical smell when you removed the speaker?

Raptized likes this.
  9. sherwood

sherwood Member

Thanks for the link! That’s actually the post I was using to get wiring diagrams for amp inputs. I got the Kenwood amp that other people were using on this forum
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00U80FUHA?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title
    It’s not a rattle noise, it’s when base comes on the speaker distorts. Crazy thing is it’s clear outside of enclosure and as soon as it’s pressed into enclosure, it distorts (also distorts when cranked down with screws so not a rattle).

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

I felt like that might have happened so actually got another new pioneer speaker and out of the box (low volume), had the exact same result... it just doesn’t make sense!

10. Raptized

first try pushing down slightly on the sub during low bass- if this helps sub has damaged voice coils or spider.

Install the factory sub and try it out in the box with the amp all the way down to see if it is amp setting or the subs. Does the amp have different inputs? kenwood 300x1?