Add a sub problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
sherwood

sherwood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first try pushing down slightly on the sub during low bass- if this helps sub has damaged voice coils or spider.

Install the factory sub and try it out in the box with the amp all the way down to see if it is amp setting or the subs. Does the amp have different inputs? kenwood 300x1?

When I gently push on sub during play, the distortion goes away. But it’s the 2nd new sub!! Did it out of the box! When I hook up factory sub, there is no distortion (obviously not pushing it but at similar levels, factory doesn’t distort when pioneer does). Input to Kenwood is RCA out of line converter.

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I gently push on sub during play, the distortion goes away. But it’s the 2nd new sub!! Did it out of the box! When I hook up factory sub, there is no distortion (obviously not pushing it but at similar levels, factory doesn’t distort when pioneer does). Input to Kenwood is RCA out of line converter.

Hook up the voice coils separately in the box and see if one is damaged. Low volume and matched ohm resistance from amp to sub. Where is the line output converter hooked into the system?

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ILrRIErVEYD/learn/why-subs-blow.html

OP
OP
sherwood

sherwood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hook up the voice coils separately in the box and see if one is damaged. Low volume and matched ohm resistance from amp to sub. Where is the line output converter hooked into the system?

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ILrRIErVEYD/learn/why-subs-blow.html

I tried that at one point early on in trouble shooting then read instructions stating “never hook up only one voice coil”. Oops. Problem existed before trying that. Line converter is after stock amp.

OP
OP
sherwood

sherwood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have tried everything! 3 separate speakers, 2 amps, 2 line converters, countless rewires and all same distortion. I’ve come to the conclusion that 2018 enclosure is different and won’t work with aftermarket speaker. I tried sealing port with expansion foam but didn’t make a difference. Looks like I’m going back to stock sub.
Picture is of 2018 enclosure pre-expansion foam.

Attachments

• A7B7053F-B56C-4E9D-9D8D-84BF57E16000.jpg
    A7B7053F-B56C-4E9D-9D8D-84BF57E16000.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 30

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
only cosmetically different from the 17.

Are you -sure- it is only distorting in the enclosure; you’ve cranked it with the sub outside the enclosure and no distorting? You’re positive?

if so, space the sub out. or replace with the Kicker that fits.

Before you do though, it might help the check the wiring with a multi-meter.

OP
OP
sherwood

sherwood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only cosmetically different from the 17.

Are you -sure- it is only distorting in the enclosure; you’ve cranked it with the sub outside the enclosure and no distorting? You’re positive?

if so, space the sub out. or replace with the Kicker that fits.

Before you do though, it might help the check the wiring with a multi-meter.

Does the 17 have the long “port tube” going around outside?
I’ve tried 2 pioneer and 1 Rockford fosgate speakers and all 3 distorted. I checked 12 volts on power (even hooked straight to battery at one point) and 12 volts on ground. For amp input I checked by doing iPhone to 3.5mm to RCA to input and speakers distorted. Only time it hasn’t distorted was amp to original stock speaker which defeats the purpose.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Does the 17 have the long “port tube” going around outside?
I’ve tried 2 pioneer and 1 Rockford fosgate speakers and all 3 distorted. I checked 12 volts on power (even hooked straight to battery at one point) and 12 volts on ground. For amp input I checked by doing iPhone to 3.5mm to RCA to input and speakers distorted. Only time it hasn’t distorted was amp to original stock speaker which defeats the purpose.

at what level of volume does it start to distort?. is it cutting in and out, or just poor signal? Is it clipping or steady? and again, is it occurring outside the enclosure?
I may be asking redundant and repeated questions, but I’m trying to make sure I understand all of this.

did you check for voltage @the amp with the volume cranked and gain on the sub turned up?

The kicker fits in the modified enclosure, and I’ve not seen the pioneer but @Guy ran it without trouble. So dimensionally, this shouldn’t be an issue.

OP
OP
sherwood

sherwood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at what level of volume does it start to distort?. is it cutting in and out, or just poor signal? Is it clipping or steady? and again, is it occurring outside the enclosure?
I may be asking redundant and repeated questions, but I’m trying to make sure I understand all of this.

did you check for voltage @the amp with the volume cranked and gain on the sub turned up?

The kicker fits in the modified enclosure, and I’ve not seen the pioneer but @Guy ran it without trouble. So dimensionally, this shouldn’t be an issue.

Thanks for all your help smurfs! Does your 17 have that port tube that goes around enclosure?
I’ve had sensitivity of amp at bottom and volume low but speaker distorts with base. I’ve hooked wire directly from truck battery to amp and had same result.
The pioneer fits into enclosure and I was following Guy’s thread with pioneer and fits into enclosure.
I guess you can define distortion as clipping because only does it on base.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
@sherwood:

We’re losing a lot of time here, and not effectively doing q&a.

I just troubleshot my setup cutting out similar to what you’re describing. I turned the volume from 8 - 30 and bass went to $hit. I thought I’d blown a component, but what I found was if I put a voltage tester on the batt + ground my sub went silent. I found that odd, so I put a multimeter on it and got 12v. Then I turned it up and as the sound went to $hit, volts dropped. I saw as low as 9v. I’ve been tapping power from the inverter line so I figured now was a good enough time to run a wire to the battery. Done and new ground wire and that was my problem.

Yours sounds similar and that’s why I was asking about the multimeter readings.

OP
OP
sherwood

sherwood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@sherwood:

We’re losing a lot of time here, and not effectively doing q&a.

I just troubleshot my setup cutting out similar to what you’re describing. I turned the volume from 8 - 30 and bass went to $hit. I thought I’d blown a component, but what I found was if I put a voltage tester on the batt + ground my sub went silent. I found that odd, so I put a multimeter on it and got 12v. Then I turned it up and as the sound went to $hit, volts dropped. I saw as low as 9v. I’ve been tapping power from the inverter line so I figured now was a good enough time to run a wire to the battery. Done and new ground wire and that was my problem.

Yours sounds similar and that’s why I was asking about the multimeter readings.
Wow. Ok. I ran power wire from battery straight to amp and had same results but I never rechecked ground! That would be crazy if all this was from bad ground!