A Ford tech's take on "THE CLUNK" (THE ONE and ONLY CLUNK THREAD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Cool NV Guy - as I recall, those guys bought their Raptors in Vegas or somewhere where they had really good service (not Reno). I'm hoping the tech guys here can find the TSB and just give me the longer yoke like those guys got...

OneArmedViolinist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before everyone gets all ******** over this, let's keep in mind that whatever is put on & in the yoke is also going to end up in the T-case lube. While it is a small amount, keep in mind that we have a shift on the fly t-case & that requires synchronizers. Synchronizers that depend on friction to work, so we don’t want to add to much slippery stuff to the T case oil. (If this is some whiz bang T case that matches gear speeds with voodoo or has some planetary magic, then I am full of crap & everyone ignore me like my wife does.) But with that said, HustonRider is going to be our guinea pig for this. If after some random mileage the clunk is still gone & he can still shift the T case, then let's get all excited.
Yes, I am being paranoid, but that’s how fixing shit for 30 years makes you.

You should have used the quote from the movie Pulp Fiction where the guy says....... "Lets not suck eachothers ***** quite yet"........ lol

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not about to go dropping the driveshaft on my brand new truck and start monkeying around with grease and splines. Wouldn't do it even if I had the time (I don't).
My dealer won't even look at my truck now, despite the fact that the clunk is still there and is now occurring a couple seconds after I pull away from a stop and I'm a few yards down the road (?!). My only option is to take it to another dealer for a fix and get the needed documentation so that I can proceed with a Lemon Law claim. I'll give Ford until the end of the month before doing so.

And the award for Overreaction of the Year goes to...:baby:

Good luck with getting your truck Lemon Law'd for a noisy slipyoke.

Don't get me wrong, my truck has it and its annoying as Hell. I'm just confident that Ford will figure it out and I'll be patient in the meantime.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They have to "FIX" the "problem" three times and your truck has to be out of your possession for over 30 days due to non-drivability because of the problem, combined for the Lemon Law to even kick in.

The truck drives perfectly fine...right?

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went at it with Nissan a few years back over a rattle in the hood..... after 5-6 visits and then a visit from some guy in Japan, they actually finally found the problem. The inner hood and the outter skin had separated and were rattling together. They fixed it, and they settled with me.

Check I received after my atty sent them a letter? $15,000 plus atty fees (actually I can't remember exactly, but it was around that)

You may not get a buy-back, but working them at a Corporate level may get ya something.

alumicraft

Reaction score
My 11 raptor screw has had the clunk since about 400 miles. I have taken it in twice prior to reading up on the issue. Recently the clunk turned into the truck lunging about 3 ft forward after getting to stop. This issue is a bit concerning as I now have to be extra careful of getting to a complete stop to close to the car in front of me. Anyone else have this issue?

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reassuring write up SOCOM. By the way there is a video of this. It is either on this forum or the other Raptor forum. It is also on YouTube. I have also read that there is a new slip yolk available through Ford that fixes this issue. I cannot verify this. What puzzles me is that I got off the phone today with the Ford Custom Service Department and Jennings Anderson Ford of Texas and neither said that they had ever received a complaint or had even heard of this clunk issue. I called BS on both of them. I was going to wait hoping that this issue would be resolved, but I might be waiting for hell to freeze over. I am sure that this is not a conspiacy theory, nor is this foum filled with a bunch of liars. I was considering cancelling my order but after reading this I think that I will proceed. The wife is getting impatient and the Raptor is going to be her daily driver that replaces her Mustang. She wants it now, and you don't want to keep a lady waiting(lol). Old school rules! New stuff is junk. No convincing her though.

That video is on this forum. It was created and posted by HoustonRider