A Ford tech's take on "THE CLUNK" (THE ONE and ONLY CLUNK THREAD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xBX

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good deal. I heard this is the magic fix... What grease/lube did you use?

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before everyone gets all ******** over this, let's keep in mind that whatever is put on & in the yoke is also going to end up in the T-case lube. While it is a small amount, keep in mind that we have a shift on the fly t-case & that requires synchronizers. Synchronizers that depend on friction to work, so we don’t want to add to much slippery stuff to the T case oil. (If this is some whiz bang T case that matches gear speeds with voodoo or has some planetary magic, then I am full of crap & everyone ignore me like my wife does.) But with that said, HustonRider is going to be our guinea pig for this. If after some random mileage the clunk is still gone & he can still shift the T case, then let's get all excited.
Yes, I am being paranoid, but that’s how fixing shit for 30 years makes you.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Yeah - and those two guys with Raptors we met outside of Moon Rocks stated that Ford had put a replacement yoke in one which fixed the problem. I'll be looking into that more when I can get mine in next week.

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah - and those two guys with Raptors we met outside of Moon Rocks stated that Ford had put a replacement yoke in one which fixed the problem. I'll be looking into that more when I can get mine in next week.

I just had a conversation with the S/M where I bought the truck- he hasnt heard anything about the magic yoke, so who knows. The good news is that one of head dogs at the dealership has a Raptor & guess what? It not only has the clunk, but creaky springs as well. So, if anybody's Raptor is going to get fixed it's gonna be his. If I hear anything I will pass it on.

Truck Wolf

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not about to go dropping the driveshaft on my brand new truck and start monkeying around with grease and splines. Wouldn't do it even if I had the time (I don't).
My dealer won't even look at my truck now, despite the fact that the clunk is still there and is now occurring a couple seconds after I pull away from a stop and I'm a few yards down the road (?!). My only option is to take it to another dealer for a fix and get the needed documentation so that I can proceed with a Lemon Law claim. I'll give Ford until the end of the month before doing so.

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before everyone gets all ******** over this, let's keep in mind that whatever is put on & in the yoke is also going to end up in the T-case lube. While it is a small amount, keep in mind that we have a shift on the fly t-case & that requires synchronizers. Synchronizers that depend on friction to work, so we don’t want to add to much slippery stuff to the T case oil. (If this is some whiz bang T case that matches gear speeds with voodoo or has some planetary magic, then I am full of crap & everyone ignore me like my wife does.) But with that said, HoustonRider is going to be our guinea pig for this. If after some random mileage the clunk is still gone & he can still shift the T case, then let's get all excited.
Yes, I am being paranoid, but that’s how fixing shit for 30 years makes you.

The grease that I saw on the Yoke (what was left of it) looked like a light bearing grease (and there was hardly ANY of it). I would imagine that over a short period of time the tranny fluid would dissolve it.

Enter: Moly Grease/Kote/Anti Seize/Sex Lube/Astroglide/Assembly Lube - this will not dissipate like the "bearing grease" (at least in theory), and works well with spline-type lube issues.

Its not adding slippery stuff to the Trans fluid, its adding a grease that won't get dissipated by the trans fluid. Everything stays in its spot.

I could be wrong, if it goes back to the clunk, then I will probably do it again... anything is better than listening to it thats for damn sure, lol.

I'll let ya know.