Rear suspension rattle/clunk on 2023 R - Solved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cornwallis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a PSA for people using their trucks offroad (or perhaps just using). I spent a week in Baja and came back and had a loose jingle/thunk/rattle going on in the rear end of the truck. I pulled everything out, chase rack, spare was already out, took the tailgate off (which is heavy as hell, BTW) and the sound persisted. The tuck was producing the sound over rippled or cracked pavement, not heavier load bumps or dips.

Well, this weekend I found out what it was. Both lower shocks, but especially the driver side were very, very loose. The driver side was backed out at least 1/8". The passenger side was slightly tighter but still really loose. I torqued them, and every other joint in the back, and the sound is gone.

I'm only mentioning this because this truck is completely stock in the suspension department, so I wound't have expected the issue It's been run hard for 500+ miles in Baja and another few hundred miles offroad in SoCal, but even so, it strikes me as odd that they loosened. It might be a good idea for anyone using your truck offroad to put a wrench on the bolts in the rear just to be safe.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just a PSA for people using their trucks offroad (or perhaps just using). I spent a week in Baja and came back and had a loose jingle/thunk/rattle going on in the rear end of the truck. I pulled everything out, chase rack, spare was already out, took the tailgate off (which is heavy as hell, BTW) and the sound persisted. The tuck was producing the sound over rippled or cracked pavement, not heavier load bumps or dips.

Well, this weekend I found out what it was. Both lower shocks, but especially the driver side were very, very loose. The driver side was backed out at least 1/8". The passenger side was slightly tighter but still really loose. I torqued them, and every other joint in the back, and the sound is gone.

I'm only mentioning this because this truck is completely stock in the suspension department, so I wound't have expected the issue It's been run hard for 500+ miles in Baja and another few hundred miles offroad in SoCal, but even so, it strikes me as odd that they loosened. It might be a good idea for anyone using your truck offroad to put a wrench on the bolts in the rear just to be safe.
Retorque is always a good idea once a year or after heavy offroading. See you south of the border amigo!