A Ford tech's take on "THE CLUNK" (THE ONE and ONLY CLUNK THREAD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SOCOMech

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
Reassuring write up SOCOM. By the way there is a video of this. It is either on this forum or the other Raptor forum. It is also on YouTube. I have also read that there is a new slip yolk available through Ford that fixes this issue. I cannot verify this. What puzzles me is that I got off the phone today with the Ford Custom Service Department and Jennings Anderson Ford of Texas and neither said that they had ever received a complaint or had even heard of this clunk issue. I called BS on both of them.

I'm sure there's has been at least one through there, if it was a Raptor or just a regular F-150, it's been going on for a long time. But that also goes to show that this concern is not as big a deal and rampant as portrayed on the forums. Of course you here it from everyone that has it but, how many threads are titled "I don't have the clunk. Anyone else who doesn't have it, come inside!"......exactly. Now absolute paranoia has set in and people are listening and thinking every little sound is the clunk. I'm not saying that some of those don't have it, some do but, a million threads and negative news getting more attention than positive, have turned Raptor owners into a bunch of hypercondriacs.

My 11 raptor screw has had the clunk since about 400 miles. I have taken it in twice prior to reading up on the issue. Recently the clunk turned into the truck lunging about 3 ft forward after getting to stop. This issue is a bit concerning as I now have to be extra careful of getting to a complete stop to close to the car in front of me. Anyone else have this issue?

The clunk is the driveshaft slipping from binding, it's not the driveshaft turning all of a sudden. The truck settling from the driveshaft slipping forward can give a sensation of it lunging but, lunging 3 ft. forward is a bit excessive.

Truck Wolf

Banned
Reaction score
I disagree completely. This issue is serious and affects a large number of Raptor owners. Downplaying it does nothing to help those with the problem and this culture of denial is what allows Ford to get away with this ******** for so long.

OP
OP
SOCOMech

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
I disagree completely. This issue is serious and affects a large number of Raptor owners. Downplaying it does nothing to help those with the problem and this culture of denial is what allows Ford to get away with this ******** for so long.

Not a surprising post from you.

Truck Wolf

Banned
Reaction score
Not a surprising post from you.

Why, because I just bought a fifty thousand dollar truck and I can't even drive it normally because it lurches out of every stop? I'm pissed off and so are a lot of other owners. I wanted to be a part of Ford's resurgence and this is my first new vehicle of theirs, but I'm hugely disappointed in their product so far.
Sorry for being honest.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Is the concensus that its axle wrap thats causing this problem? Or is it improper angles or what? I know this isn't designed specifically for our trucks but would something like this help/solve the problem?

https://secure.aev-conversions.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NTH1416

NTH1416.jpg

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had this clunk in the past but hasn't been evident here recently now that it has warmed uP. I have 33k on my raptor now, I will bring it in for the yoke before i hit the 35k mark. I'm wondering if this is covered under drivetrain 60k warranty?

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score

I'm going to just throw this out there - but us that have the issue are not denying or ignoring it. I have brought the issue to my dealer several times and have had the grease job. A better fix is already out there, and NV Guy and I met a couple Raptor owners that had Ford replace their yokes which solved the problem. Sharing that info with my dealer will get me my solution. Bitching about Ford won't get me anywhere.

Why, because I just bought a fifty thousand dollar truck and I can't even drive it normally because it lurches out of every stop? I'm pissed off and so are a lot of other owners. I wanted to be a part of Ford's resurgence and this is my first new vehicle of theirs, but I'm hugely disappointed in their product so far.
Sorry for being honest.

Never be sorry for being honest - spiteful maybe, but never honest.

I learned to modify my gas pedal habits to accomodate the discomfort of hearing the sound, and I can pretty much make it go away by the way I drive. That way, I've been able to enjoy all the other features of the truck which clearly outweigh this technical issue.

You aren't the only person who bought a $50,000 truck, but based on your shared impressions here - perhaps you should consider selling it and buying another vehicle that would make you happier.

Truck Wolf

Banned
Reaction score
You aren't the only person who bought a $50,000 truck, but based on your shared impressions here - perhaps you should consider selling it and buying another vehicle that would make you happier.

Most of my frustration is due to the fact that I still love the truck - I think it's the best production truck out there, hands down. It's just a shame that this yoke problem is really a huge blemish on the vehicle and on Ford itself. I've been waiting years to buy a Ford truck and there's no other vehicle I want right now, I just wish they'd fix the ******* thing!

Heme61

Reaction score
I agree put the right ******* fix out there and be done with it.....the ******** band-aid of grease that lasted 300 miles is no answer... Ford engineers need to do some re-engineering .