6.2 intermittent valve train ticking noise at start up ??????????????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wilson was just joking about the ethanol.

Anyway, your valve noise is normal.

No I'm not! I used it for every mile I drive. I put it in everything I own so I know it's safe. My 2011 can-am has over 10,000 miles using e-30 raptor 20,000 old car 180,000 2008 van 130,000 weed eater 6 years. And so on

dhollist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just don't try it in a car older than about the mid 1990's. Ethanol can be very damaging to rubber components like hoses and o-rings, so older fuel system components, which are made of less resistant materials, break down and leak when exposed to ethanol blended fuel. Those little pieces of rubber wreak havoc on downstream components like fuel pumps, carburetors and fuel injectors.

All the best,
Dave

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just don't try it in a car older than about the mid 1990's. Ethanol can be very damaging to rubber components like hoses and o-rings, so older fuel system components, which are made of less resistant materials, break down and leak when exposed to ethanol blended fuel. Those little pieces of rubber wreak havoc on downstream components like fuel pumps, carburetors and fuel injectors.

All the best,
Dave

I'd agree if most hoses weren't replaced it didn't matter if it was ethanol or regular gas the older rubbers are not like today and needed changing regardless. we run e-30 in 1972 Pontiac, 196* 60 john-deer, 198* 185 Honda three wheeler, 1998 boat evenrude, 198* C65 twin screw, 2006 impala, 2006 dodge, 2008 f150, 2008 town&country, 2011 hemi dodge, 2011 can-am 4 wheeler, 2012 raptor f150, (weed eaters, chain saw, anything all have been running for at least 10+ years on e-30) I replaced one hose on the C65 and the boat haven't touched anything else. If you can run e-10 in it you can run up to 50% but watch the detonation going anything over 50%. If it's a carbe you have to adjust it.

SERG09

Hi Ho Silver
Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I wanted to post a video (tapping/knocking begins about 15 secs in) to ask if this is the noise that members are experiencing? My dealer wants to replace cam phazer and while I believe the techs are capable I'd like to prevent the backlash in the event I don't ask first and find myself ****** in the wind.

My noise is only apparent on start up it seems and sometimes accompanies a very short duration rough idle. My first thought was lifter slow to pump up but what the hell do I know!

Any opinions greatly appreciated! Thanks for listening.

(already tried E30 ... thanks Wilson!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drDjLFCdeCw&feature=em-upload_owner

Last edited:

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I wanted to post a video (tapping/knocking begins about 15 secs in) to ask if this is the noise that members are experiencing? My dealer wants to replace cam phazer and while I believe the techs are capable I'd like to prevent the backlash in the event I don't ask first and find myself ****** in the wind.

My noise is only apparent on start up it seems and sometimes accompanies a very short duration rough idle. My first thought was lifter slow to pump up but what the hell do I know!

are you using good fuel try a tank of 91 or better for a week see how it go's. make sure you change oil

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Definitely not normal.