Help SupportFord Raptor Forum by donating:

Help support Ford Raptor Forum :

6.2 intermittent valve train ticking noise at start up ??????????????

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum' started by RV67, Sep 11, 2010.

1. RV67

RV67 Full Access Member

6.2 valve train noise

Hello - First off..just have to say Thanks for answering our questions !!

I have the 6.2 and at about 1500 miles I started hearing lifter ticking (1-2 secs.) only on warm start-up.Even after it sits for two hours.Its intermittent....As of this post I have 2528 miles on the truck.It still runs like a Ford should.

I am going to change my oil in the a.m. and will be using Motorcraft Full synthetic and Motorcraft Filter.

I know its a long shot but its for my peace of mind.

BTW - I do NOT abuse my vehicles and I drive 'em with respect.

Thanks

2. quicksinner

quicksinner Full Access Member

I have a 6.2 and it does the same thing. I think if you read around, it's a common problem. Not sure what is the cause, as I'm not too concerned. Sounds like the lifters ticking until oil pressure gets up to them.

AimlessRolling likes this.
  3. SLB8SNK

SLB8SNK Full Access Member

+1, agree

4. RV67

RV67 Full Access Member

My driveway is at a slight incline and thats when I always notice it.But today I parked on flat ground and went out 2-hours later and it didnt Rattle.Oh and yes I changed the oil sunday and no differance.

5. MarkT

MarkT FRF Addict

I think the 6.2 might have some sort of emissions control solenoid or something that puts out a rattle that sounds a lot like valve clatter... noticed it the other night on lvdezertdawg's 6.2 while we were aiming the lights. Intermittent clatter at idle but the way it started and stopped made me think it's not the valves.

6. AndyR

AndyR Full Access Member

Funny you should say that. I was out aiming my new Rigid bar and noticed the same. I don't think it's the A/C compressor, but sure cycles on and off.

7. MagicMtnDan

MagicMtnDan FRF Addict

Does it sound like a rattle?

[​IMG]

8. SharkRescue

SharkRescue Member

The ticking noise is there until the oil pressure reaches the lash adjuster. It is considered normal. Some engine designs are more prone to it than others. It does not affect the durability of the engine.

Tim Hartranft likes this.
  9. dnewman9

dnewman9 Full Access Member

I have a friend who has his raptor down for 30 days while ford replaces the heads due to a bad tick once warm. Apparently the parts come from Roush, I still would be crazy if mine was down that long for even a full engine replacement.
    Dennis

10. MarkT

MarkT FRF Addict

This engine was definitely warm and the "clatter" continued to cycle on and off with the a/c turned off.

Sounded a lot like valve noise but the starting and stopping makes me think it was something else