6.2 intermittent valve train ticking noise at start up ??????????????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who has his raptor down for 30 days while ford replaces the heads due to a bad tick once warm. Apparently the parts come from Roush, I still would be crazy if mine was down that long for even a full engine replacement.
Dennis

Anyone else with this issue? I have the noise but feel it is normal, but this bothers me!

OP
OP
RV67

RV67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else with this issue? I have the noise but feel it is normal, but this bothers me!
Hell yea it bothers me too ! Internal engine noises of any kind big or small should not be "ignored". And its definately a lifter,which quiets down once oil gets to it.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hell yea it bothers me too ! Internal engine noises of any kind big or small should not be "ignored". And its definately a lifter,which quiets down once oil gets to it.

The Ford 6.2L engine is an OHC design.

Does it even have lifters?

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Mine does the same thing, it's kinda got a slight miss about it as well but smooths out once it's warmed up. I just figure it's normal warm up although it's still a little nerve racking. Anyhow, I suggest letting it warm up a couple of minutes before taking off in the morning...more so if it's a real cold day/night.

SharkRescue

Reaction score
The 6.2L engine has a rocker shaft that rocker arms mount on. One end of the rocker arm has a lash adjuster and the other end of the rocker arm has a roller bearing that contacts the camshaft lobe.

SharkRescue

Reaction score
The idle quality of the 6.2L engine in the Raptor is "rougher" than the 6.2L in the Super Duty because the camshafts have more overlap, giving the Raptor engine higher horsepower than the SD. This idle is normal for the Raptor as the engine has been specifically tuned and designed for higher performance, over idle stability.

The engine is not misfiring.

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The idle quality of the 6.2L engine in the Raptor is "rougher" than the 6.2L in the Super Duty because the camshafts have more overlap, giving the Raptor engine higher horsepower than the SD. This idle is normal for the Raptor as the engine has been specifically tuned and designed for higher performance, over idle stability.

Great info, thanks!

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I understand but is it supposed to jerk or shake the truck around every time it does it? The last time I had a truck running like this the MAF was out of tune or calibration. I'm going to have them check it out the next time I get some free time.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I understand but is it supposed to jerk or shake the truck around every time it does it? The last time I had a truck running like this the MAF was out of tune or calibration. I'm going to have them check it out the next time I get some free time.

Do you have a "soft" code stored? Meaning the ECM stores the fault, but does not illuminate the MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) because it hasn't reached a threshold for warning.

Maybe hook up a code scanner and see if something is there.