6.2 intermittent valve train ticking noise at start up ??????????????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X3...yes normal an more pronounced on remote start....need a louder exhaust and possible headers to drown out the clatter....lol

Badass69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

When I start my truck, I get some pretty obvious valve noise that tapers off over the first ~3 seconds of running. Then right around the 5 second mark (usually) a loud-ish click/thud of something engaging.

I'm running Mobile 1 5/20 full synthetic, is anyone else having this?

Thanks!

Tick is valve train noise... probably phasers when you have low or no oil pressure on engine start. The loud clunk you get is you a/c compressor engaging the first time.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Grinding Clicking Noise Left front engine compartment

Quick one here... I have a brand new 2014 Ford Raptor - noticed the second week I had it - only 150 miles on it --that when I started the truck and was outside the cab, a loud clicking/ grinding noise happened about 5 seconds after starting my truck? Only happens in the morning -- After I drive it and turn it off, if I restart it the same day it doesn't do this. But the next morning the same thing. I took it to the dealer. They are telling me this is normal and all Raptor trucks do this? Please -- all Raptor owners, is this true? if not, what do I do? Ask for extended warranty? if so how long?

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its the valve train its normal, takes some time for oil to get pushed back to the top of the block after its sat for a while. Even more so when the oil is cold.